Recent Customer Reviews
CipherLab Co., Ltd
CipherLab AS30U1CBDBS01 RS30 Android 4.4 Mobile Computer
Good Device, CCD scanner not a 1D Laser
- Pros: Setup was simple enough, I have very good experience with android devices. Out of the box on start up it is running 2 apps. The first app is similar to a standard launcher, like one you would see on a phone. In my case this was not what I wanted as this was to be used in a work environment.
The second app is called AppLock, this is exactly what is needed for a work environment. It allows the admin to set a password and really lock down nearly every aspect of the phone. It ensures people are not surfing the web or anything other than what is needed from their task at hand.
When locked it will only allow the user to run apps that are designated as “allowed” and you cannot do anything not allowed. The entire phone is locked down with this and adds a layer of security, it even allows you to disable the camera and many other security options suited for a work environment.
The build is quite sturdy in design and the screen seems to handle very well even with latex gloves (I tested this)
The response time is good and wireless reception is good as well.
For the price, I had to buy this and give it a shot.
- Cons: The major con I saw was that in the specs on newegg, it did not state that the sensor was actually a CCD sensor and not an actual laser. The CCD sensor can sense many types of barcodes, however it has a short range compared to a 1D laser. I work in a production environment where bending down to scan over 100 boxes a day would be extremely harsh on the back. The distance is not nearly as good as a 1D laser and if you primarily work with 1D barcodes then a 1D laser is the best choice. However, there is a model of this mobile computer model#: AS30U1LBDBS01 this model comes with the 1D laser, it cannot scan all the types of barcodes, however it does an exceptional job at 1D barcodes, and the distance is greatly improved, other than that that model has no other difference, however it is slightly more expensive. I will not drop an egg for a missing spec but I want to see the spec updated to state it is a CCD sensor not a laser.
- Other Thoughts: I ended up returning this model in exchange for the model mentioned in the above cons section. I will be writing a review. It proved to work fine with IQMS WMS, my businesses ERP. It did read the barcodes quickly and the processing power allowed it to run the application quickly.
The real area that this shines is its ability to have a SIM chip placed in it turning it into an actual phone.
A huge thing to get used to is that this device does NOT have google play installed. They use something called FDroid which only allows open source no license software (good for a business which does not want license trouble). Using this and not having google play integrated makes setup a bit different from your traditional android devices, as you will need to download .APK files to the device and manually install them. Using the NFC feature however makes making copies of one device to another quite simple, making roll out easier.
You can buy licences from CipherLabs within 30 days of purchase for this device and I would strongly advise to do so if it is used in a work environment, also investing in the boot is wise as well, model number can be found on the CipherLabs website.
Another thing you need to know is that you will need to call customer support to get the code to check for system updates. A customer service code is also needed as well to wipe the device. It was not stated where to get that code and so I called and was given it very quickly.
I would recommend this device for retail and other jobs where scanning distance does not greatly effect the user. However in a production environment, I would recommend getting the 1D laser for its greater range, and seeing that the most common barcode in a production environment is 1D barcodes, you will not run into the issues of many types of codes needed to be scanned.
For its versatility and ability to adapt using software which traditional scan guns lacked, this style of barcode scanner is really something I am looking forward to doing more R&D with.
The scanner can also be configured with built in custom apps that come stock, ability to lengthen or shorten the scan timeout and a load of other features.
I would strongly suggest giving cipher labs a call as well to investigate the warranty options for this device.
Seeing that it has a sim card it can be considered a phone, their 5 year warranty covers all damage, it is also under $300. It states a 2 day turn around with NO DEDUCTIBLE. I wish this was on newegg but it currently is not. I also wish that sort of warranty was standard on phones. Would pay much more for a phone for a 5 year no hassle warranty.
Reviewed By:Joseph C.,7/14/2016 7:35:33 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is and has owned this product 1 month to 1 year.
This user purchased this item from Newegg
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.
Avatar A105 Integrated 1D/2D Opticon Barcode Scanner
seems like a good unit
- Pros: seems very rugged
scans 1d and 2d barcodes very quickly
- Cons: drivers do not seem to work
no 64 bit driver seems to be available
32 bit drivers do not seem to work with virtual machine xp
- Other Thoughts: needs a 64 bit driver or at least a 32 bit driver that works
Reviewed By:jgraham,8/31/2013 11:56:26 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is High and has owned this product 1 day to 1 week.
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Did you find this review helpful?
Intermec 340-054-003 Keyboard
Best Keyboard Evar
- Pros: This keyboard is the best thing i have ever used. After buying it i went on 4chan and met my soon to be wife, this keyboard has made me the happiest man ever.
- Cons: None
Reviewed By:Drake,9/24/2012 7:58:24 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is High and has owned this product 1 month to 1 year.
18 out of 28 people found this review helpful.