Recent Customer Reviews
SIIG ID-SC0011-S1 RS-232 to 422/485 Converter - OEM
- Pros: I have used it in a half-duplex mode over a short distance (10's of feet) to provide an interface between a computer and a serial encoder and it works just fine in this application. It is powered from the handshaking lines of the RS-232 interface assuming a full 9-wire interface is used.
- Cons: The RS-232 standard distinguishes between two major categories of equipment: DTE (data terminal equipment, like terminals, printers or computers) and DCE (data communication equipment like modems). Between every two pieces of DTE there needs to be one piece of DCE to flip the transmit/receive wire pairs between the two terminal devices. DTE is supposed to use male SubD connectors while DCE is supposed to use female SubD connectors.
This SIIG converter is wired like a modem device, with the transmit/receive wires flipped so they mate properly to any connected DTE. But, contrary to the RS-232 specification, the SIIG converter uses a DB9M (pins) connector. As DCE, it should come equipped with a DB9F connector.
Reviewed By:N/A,2/18/2014 9:35:17 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is High and has owned this product 1 week to 1 month.
Did you find this review helpful?
StarTech DB92422 RS422 RS485 Serial DB9 to Terminal Block Adapter
Wish I had known the pin-out beforehand
- Pros: Solid construction. Meets Industrial standards.
- Cons: Pin-out is fixed and unchangeable, see notes below. Could not find diagram anywhere on the manufacturer's page. There are several standards of RS485/422 over DB9 and not having a pin configuration listed is unacceptable. For this reason I'm giving this product one egg.
- Other Thoughts: Searched high and low for a pin configuration before I purchased this. Unable to find one (even on the manufacturer's data sheet) I bought one of these hoping it would match the standard that my PLC uses. It didn't. This product has the following pin configuration:
T+/D+ : Pin 2
T-/D- : Pin 1
R+ : Pin 3
R- : Pin 4
GND : Pin 5
Unfortunately it doesn't do me any good but hopefully this review helps someone else.
Reviewed By:N/A,4/21/2011 10:41:20 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is High and has owned this product 1 day to 1 week.
This user purchased this item from Newegg
3 out of 4 people found this review helpful.