A History of Good Business Since 1876
Anna and Melville's Crockery Shop
It started with spilled sawdust
Like many well-intentioned people who set out to have a relaxing Saturday, we didn’t mean to start cleaning—it just happened. In 1876, Melville R. Bissell and his wife, Anna, owned a small crockery shop in Michigan. Because they were constantly cleaning sawdust off the carpet of the shop (know the feeling?), Melville invented a unique carpet sweeper and patented it. When customers and friends began asking where they could buy the carpet sweeper, a new business was born.
Anna and Melville Bissell
It’s a BISSELL woman’s world
That’s the theme here at BISSELL. When Melville Bissell died in 1889, there was no question who would run the company. His wife Anna stepped in to lead the business, becoming the first female CEO in America. She aggressively defended the company’s patents and marketed sweepers successfully throughout North America and Europe. In fact, in the late 1890s BISSELL gained its biggest fan in Queen Victoria, insisting that her palace be “Bisselled” every week. Palace attendants must have loved the extra free time they had after royal messes became much easier to clean up.
Clean, meet Easy
There’s a lot of fun to be had out there in the world, so once we’d conquered a palace, we started working on making cleaning with BISSELL products even easier. In 1956, we introduced the manual carpet shampooer, which rendered the practice of scrubbing carpets on hands and knees obsolete. Cinderella, you’re welcome. Only a year later, our Shampoo Master won the Bachner Award for Achievement in the fascinating field of practical application of molded and formed plastics. We were on a roll. By the end of the 60s, we were a jack of all surfaces, revolutionizing the way and ease with which people clean, offering the first combination Vac/Floor scrubber, Dry Powder Rug Shampoo and Applicator, and the Gemini Sweeper, the first two-brush sweeper.
Clean gets even deeper
In 1979, we made magic, introducing the first BISSELL carpet deep cleaning machine, making dirty carpet easily disappear. Then, in the late 1980s, just as the New Kids on the Block were singing “Hangin’ Tough”, we did the opposite and created the BISSELL SC, the company’s first deep cleaner that was no longer tethered to a water source in the house. As a result, carpet deep cleaning became more effective and convenient than ever, and that’s the path we’ve continued on ever since, creating the BISSELL Big Green Clean Machine®, dubbed the “Big Daddy” of deep cleaning. Plus, we introduced the PowerGroom®, the first BISSELL-branded upright vacuum in the 90s, which more than lived up to its name.
Things get a bit hairy
In a good way! In the early 2000s, we discovered that all of us here at BISSELL share a love for pets (72% of us are pet owners!). But for all the amazing things we love about our four-legged friends, they’re not so mindful of a tidy home. When we found out this was a deterrent to many would-be pet adopters, we knew we had to do something. In 2001, we began adoption efforts in partnership with Petfinder.com, and in 2005, we launched the SpotBot® portable deep cleaner, our first product designed specifically for cleaning up after pets. Under the leadership of Cathy Bissell (parent to three black labs), we continued to support the pet community through contributions to U.S. pet charities. And, in 2011, she founded the BISSELL Pet Foundation, a non-profit organization that advocates for lost, abused, neglected and abandoned pets by raising funds through the sale of BISSELL pet products. Since its inception, the BISSELL Pet Foundation has been able to award more than $500,000 to over 375 organizations in 43 states. Our goal is to raise $250,000 annually through pet product sales to support the life-saving work of the foundation. We are deeply committed to helping pets find homes.
Standard Return Policy
- Return for refund within: 30 days
- Return for replacement within: 30 days
- Restocking Fee: 5.00%
Need to call OECK commercial and speak with customer service to authorize a RMA return authoriztion and to arrange pick up of product.
1. Log onto your Newegg.com account and find your order in order history, click on 'Request RMA from Seller' Button next to the order information.
2. On 'Compose Message Page', verify the order number you want to request return on the top of the page, choose 'RMA Inquiry' from the drop down menu, provide the item# (you can find on your order invoice e-mail) and the reason you want to return, and indicate you want to return for replacement or refund before click 'send message' button.
3. Once our Customer Service Representatives receive your inquiry, it will take us 24 - 48 hours to respond to your inquiry.
4. Once our Customer Service has verified your order information and approved for you to send the merchandise back to us, you will be provided with Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number for your return through e-mail. The e-mail contains RMA number, RMA details and important return shipping instruction. Read the instruction carefully before you ship your return merchandise back to us.
5. We strongly recommend you return your item in the same or similar packaging as they were delivered to you with all the original parts, accessories and menu/documentation included (any missing parts or accessories may result your return being rejected or your refund/replacement being delayed). Re-using the package your item came in is acceptable, as long as the packaging is in good condition and all previous addresses, tracking information and labels are removed.