Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
WarrantyBeyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer or a Third party. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current.
Read full details.
This review is from: Minix NEO-X5-116A V2 ARM Dual Core Cortext A9, Quad Core Mali 16G SSD, LAN, 3USB
Pros: No problems with the hardware, drivers, or installing apps from the play store. It works fairly well as a cheap desktop, after installing some apps and some tweaking. Performance is similar to dual core A9 tablets and phones.
Cons: Hardware / Minix
- System does not auto-update the OS. Most users will want to upgrade to Andoid 4.2.2 and flashing the ROM requires using a Windows PC.
- Cannot flash the unit from Windows 8.1, had to use and old XP laptop.
- A little under powered compared to a quad core Nexus 7 1st gen.
- Video players tend to crash, although this can mostly be eliminated with the configuration below.
- Android 4.2.2 look like the newest version that going to be supported.
- Doesn't understand how to work with full sized keyboards very well. The most common problem is that the enter key usually doesn't submit forms and you click a button on the on-screen soft keyboard.
- Lack of windowed or split screen mode is painful on large monitors.
- You have to use a combination of Chrome, Browser (the integrated Android web browser), and Firefox, depending on what you’re trying to do. I recommend disabling the Chromium browser that’s bundled with the ROM. It’s performance is bad and I don’t know why it’s running in the background.
- Chrome does not support extension.
Other Thoughts: Flashing the ROM
- Google "minix x5 download" to find the firmware download site. There are some decent instructions on youtube, but remember to install the rockchip driver from the firmware download first.
Playing Flash Web Video
- Install the developer version of Flash and use Browser (the integrated Android web browser). You can find it by googling "android flash developer version".
Playing VOB Streaming Video
- Install MX Player from the Play Store. Start MX Player, click the three vertical dots in the upper right corner, select Settings, and then Codex. Check all of the hardware decoding options. Un-check all of the software decoding options. On the Player tab, check “Limit video resizing”. Checking this seem to fix most of the crashes.
Playing Video Files From a LAN (UNC) Share
- Use ES File Explorer from the Play Store, browse the the file, click it and select MX Player from the popup.
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.
Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!
Through the Newegg EggXpert Review Program, Newegg invites its best reviewers, known as EggXperts, to post opinions about new and pre-release products to help their fellow customers make informed buying decisions.Click here for more details.
This item is eligible for Newegg Premier benefits. Are you a Newegg Premier Member? If not, sign up today and get:
Free 3-day-or-less shipping on eligible items, discounts on 2- or 1-day delivery
Free shipping on returns using labels available on our website
Newegg’s gift-wrap service is the ideal solution for making your gift special!
Select your item as a gift, then add your message. Your gift will also be discreet with no prices being included on the packing slip.
Thank you for subscribing
Your request will be processed within the next 24 hours.
Please add "email@example.com" to your address book to ensure delivery.