- USB 2.0
- Lifetime limited
Just what I always wanted! 01/13/2010
This review is from: ADATA 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model S805 8GB
There are several reasons why I consider this the best overall flash drive I've owned:
1) The most solid construction you'll find in a flash drive that isn't designed to be "rugged."
2) Intuitive cap-free design.
3) Nice size; it's not too big, it's not too small.
4) Perfect for actually being worn day-to-day on a key chain.
5) Though it's not the fastest, it performs solidly for day to day tasks.
Each pro has a con on the flip side, but I don't feel that these take anything away from this drive's quality:
1) While solid, don't get this if you really need a rugged drive. While it can withstand a sizable drop and could probably even be run over by a truck, prolonged punishment or exposure to harmful conditions would get to it eventually.
2) The flipping mechanism is probably the weak point in the drive's construction. It's by no means flimsy, but it seems like something that may wear out over time. However, it's miles ahead of any sliding mechanism I've seen.
3) Though the size is right, it is a bit heavy in your pocket compared to most drives. Some may hate it, but I think it's a good thing; I see it as a reflection of good build quality.
4) It's good for a key chain, but keep in mind that this is a miniature carabiner; you won't be climbing mountains with this.
5) Speed is average. It runs portable apps fine, but it can be slow when saving or loading sometimes.
I've been hunting for a solidly built, cap free flash drive that feels at home on my key chain for years now, and this is the first one I've had that I felt really fit the bill. It's sturdy, stylish, intuitive, and best of all, it works well.
Don't get this if you need a tiny, light weight drive or one with blazing speed or ultra-rugged construction. Otherwise, go for it; you won't be disappointed.
3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!