- Intel Atom N330(1.60 GHz)
- 2GB Memory 250GB HDD
- Windows 7 Home Premium
The little Netbook that could... 04/25/2010
Lightweight, responsive, good battery life, beautiful bright (glossy) screen.
1. hinge can't open past ~135deg
2. cheap pen tip size plastic dots used to enforce #1 easily accidentally broken using normal opening force
3. usb & power ports fragile, fear weight/force on ports causing damage.
4. "One hand carying" by palm rest when open consistently cause chassis bend enough that unit won't sit flat on table. Fix is flexing it back, not good!
5. extremely rear heavy, easily tips backwards
6. HOT! single exhaust only port (no intakes) under palm rest. Slightest obstruction by hand/sleeve/etc leads to drastically elevated temps, potential unit overheat & shortened component life.
7. Enertronix PSU brick hot, know to be unreliable. Consumer pays shipping on warranty replacement
8. No official Asus DC-DC car adapter nor any officially endorsed brands. Caveat Emptor buying cheap China 19V/2.1A/40W generics
9. Bloatware galore; custom reinstall w/ unbranded media works but renders recovery partition useless without more work
Overall this is a great little unit marred by some glaring issues that likely plague the netbook segment. Some are forgivable, others just simply unacceptable!
From researching after failure it's clear the PSU is a known issue which Asus should recall & offer free replacement with Delta brick, it's not and they still ship with flawed PSU. Hinge stop construction + bendable frame are spots where a little more metal goes a long way and Asus clearly drops the ball here. Choices with the cooling baffle me since there are solutions if they spent a few $$$ more on the designg.
I DO recommend this with reservation because I still think it's top of the netbook segment yet must say "shame on you Asus" for not putting a little more work into was is very nice and quite expensive unit by comparison to other netbooks & low end laptops!
4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!