- SATA 1.5 & 3Gb/s
- 5 x Hot-Swappable 3.5" Drive Bays
- 0, 1, 10, 3, 5, Clone (N-way Mirror) with Hot Spare, and JBOD
This review is from: SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR5UTP 0, 1, 10, 3, 5, Clone (N-way Mirror) with Hot Spare, and JBOD 5 x Hot-Swappable 3.5" Drive Bays USB 3.0 (backward compatible with USB 2.0) and eSATA 5 Bay USB 3.0 / eSATA Hardware RAID 5 Tower w/ 6G PCIe 2.0 HB
I've relied on these Sans Digital BYO RAID boxes for a few years now, and haven't had any issues with any of them. This particular one is hooked up as the file server to a small renderfarm, so it gets used and abused nearly 24/7.
- Fast. I measure 230 MB/s; I can never get my single disks to go over 70-90MB/s
- Doesn't choke under simultaneous read/write access like single drives do. I can generally get up to 6 simultaneous read/writes going at once without a noticeable slowdown (since the bottleneck usually lies in CPU/network/etc.)
- It and others have always been stable, even under heavy use. Haven't yet lost a drive or corrupted a file yet.
- Plug and play install on Mac Pro (including the Rocket card). Card supports SATA hot plugging without any configuration, too!
Definitely the loudest piece of equipment in the room, but not overpowering. It's more comforting that the drives are being kept cool.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!