- Game Controller
- Designed for Apple iPad
cool, but not 08/01/2011
This review is from: ION iCADE Atari Game Controller for iPad
- coolness factor: impresses my geek friends, and gives me a chill every time I look at it.
- some games play very well on it. (e.g. lunar lander)
- high-quality materials: case and controls. feels solid.
- bluetooth interface allows you to place the ipad in landscape orientation to play games that require it. HOWEVER, the cabinet is meant to house the ipad in portrait orientation, so it works, but doesn't sit very well.
- the iCade interfaces with the iPad as a bluetooth keyboard device. When it's active, the iPad's onscreen keyboard will not pop up automatically in a text-entry field (i.e. even if you're not playing...)
- it's difficult to control certain games that were designed for alternate control sets, especially at higher levels: trackball (missile command, centipede/millipede, liberator, etc.,) dial/wheel (tempest, breakout, etc.) Some games play better on the touch-screen (breakout.) Even some games that should work well with a joystick are difficult to control precisely at higher levels (asteroids, battle zone)
Note that you have to purchase the games separately. As of this writing, only the "Atari's Greatest Hits" has been worked for the iCade. You get ONE game for free, otherwise it's $15 to purchase the entire set at once. Because of the keyboard interface, it's relatively easy to add iCade support to a game, so other games may include support for it at some (unspecified) later date...
15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!