- RAID 0/1/5/6/10/50/60
- 6 x SFF-8087 mini-SAS Internal Connectors
- 1 x SFF-8088 mini-SAS External Connectors
- $1,494.99 1494.99
- $1,294.99 –
- Save: $200.00 (13%)
- $3.99 Shipping (restrictions apply)
Decent controller, bad support, worse compatiblity 03/14/2012
- Item arrived quickly, in good condition, and with proper documentation
- Installed easily into HP Proliant DL165 G7 1U Server via riser card
- Was able to connect to all drives and create various virtual disks (RAIDs)
- Fast! A RAID 0 of 5 Kingston mid-level SSDs achieved 700+ MB/s read and 650+ MB/s write!
OK, here's the deal. I purchased this specifically because it was listed on the HCL for the LSI SAS6160 SAS Switch, which became very important to check after my HP P812 controller took a dump upon connecting to the switch. After connecting it, I quickly found that while it worked in principle (that is, it didn't catch on fire or anything), it wasn't actually compatible.
Without getting too into the weeds, a SAS Switch exists so a person can 'zone' disks from a JBOD enclosure to a controller. This card does NOT support zoning at the time of this writing, and I believe they are now working to update the firmware and/or remove it from their SAS Switch's HCL.
It took me a little over two weeks of fighting with LSI's tier 1 support before I got put in contact with an engineer who was able to clear this up. The engineer did a very good job of doing so, though.
I also started having a problem shortly after installation of this card that my ProLiant server now freezes during POST. I cannot confirm this is related to the card, as it occasionally freezes in POST even with the card removed, but the problem on started happening after installing the MegaRAID card. I've also found that if I pull the cord from the back and give it 5 seconds to drain, it will boot without freezing. Again, not sure if the two are related or not.
2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!