- Intel X79
- Core i7 (LGA2011)
- DDR3 1866/1600
Poor compability 05/01/2012
This review is from: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Oh... it looks nice!
Attractive features (USB 3 ; SATA 6Gb/s ; etc)
Firmware updates are a breeze
Where do I start?
- Poor compatibility
- Inability to install Windows, doesn't matter how many different ways you try it.
- No on-board components (LAN, sound-card, etc) detected by the built in Windows drivers for a plain basic install
- What makes UEFI BIOS a positive overhaul is what will consequently lead to it's demise
- Read other thoughts
I've been buying ASUS boards now for > 5 years and have always been happy with their products, well that is until now. This motherboard has serious issues and I don't know how it passed ASUS QC. The MB compatibility is very dire and you're left feeling like you have never built a computer before. I've attempted >50 different OS installations with different hardware and every time, Windows throws a bunch of errors. Different hardware makes no difference, if it doesn't fail at the 1st stage of installation then it will mislead you all the way till the last one and then fail the overall install. Firmware updated to the last but it made no difference in the compatibility. I'm using quality components (ASUS GTX580; G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB; Plextor SSD SATA III 128Gb, WD Caviar Black SATA III 1TB, ASUS SONAR DX, CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750, etc). I really wanted to make this work but looks like as soon as I get a RMA# this will be going back. I will now look at other manufactures
Dear Valued Customer,
Sorry to hear about the issues. A few things of note:
1) If there is any memory instability during the Windows Install process, the install can fail. Some CPUs need elevated VCCSA to run 16GB fully stable.
2) Windows does not include native drivers for the Intel NIC. The drivers for the NIC are on the driver disc supplied with the board.
If you need help debugging the issues then please contact us at Newegg_ASUS_MBSupport@asus.com stating all parts used as you have here together with details of configuration and the UEFI version used.
ASUS Customer Support
2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!