- Support 2.5" HDD/SSD up to 1TB (9.5mm height)
- USB2.0 & eSATA
- Aluminum & plastic
- $14.99 –
- Save: $5.00 (25%)
- Free Shipping (restrictions apply)
eSata FAIL = very VERY disappointed 07/08/2012
1. Nice looking brushed aluminum shell.
2. HDD secures to internal frame with two screws and is very solid inside the case.
3. Two LED's on front for "On" and drive activity.
4. USB 2.0 power+data cable works fine.
5. Reasonable price.
There is only one "Con" to go up against the above five "Pros", but it's a BIG ONE...for me, so big that all of the above "Pros" combined are essentially useless due to this one single mega-CON:
1. I bought three of these - one in a first order and two more in a second order - to go with laptops that have eSata ports to take advantage of the faster eSata. The USB 2.0 data/power connection works fine - no complaint there. However, using the USB2 power-only cable + eSata cable my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6-2190us) did not recognize the drive (WD Scorpio Blue 5400rpm 2.5") on any of the three enclosures/cables - zip, nada, oh-for-three, a big strike out. I know the drive is fine and the eSata port on the laptop is fine - the drive attached to the laptop via a Sata-to-eSata cable and a Sata-cabled power brick works fine on the same laptop and eSata port and tests at 115+ mbps on ATTO. And, the same drive in the same enclosures attached via the USB 2.0 data+power cable also works fine...
...I also tried these enclosures with the same drive on another PC I have with an eSata port that I know (and verified with the same Sata-to-eSata calbe and Sata power brick) works - zip, nada, oh-for-three, a big strike out.
Wow...how utterly disappointing. I've typically had relatively good luck for several years with a lot of other Rosewill products - some of which are my favorites in their respective categories - but I have to say that I am very VERY disappointed in this particular Rosewill enclosure.
Given that about 50% of Reviewers rank the enclosure 5-eggs, maybe that just indicates that the quality control for this enclosure is just really bad, and you get some great, some good, some bad, and some junk units. Or maybe most (not all, just maybe most) of the 5-egg reviewers don't use the eSata and just use the USB 2.0 connection. In either case, given the eSata speed is 95% of the reason I got this to try, this has been a HUGE disappointmen
Dear Valued Customer,
Please contact the Rosewill support team either via phone at 800-575-9885 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can assist you with your issue or assist you with a replacement.
Rosewill Customer Care
6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!