- 3TB, SATA 6Gb/s NCQ
- Desktop or all-in-one PCs to equip home servers
- Store active archive data
- Outfit direct - attached, entry-level external storage devices (DAS)
- 2 years limited warranty
- $134.99 134.99
- $89.99 –
- Save: $45.00 (33%)
- Free Shipping (restrictions apply)
Always Torture Test Before Putting into Production Environement 07/19/2012
One year warranty means the company was losing too much money on warranty exchanges.
I build RAID6 systems for mid-size businesses. In the last 8 years, as disk capacity has grown from 250GB to 4TB, I've noticed a definite increase in failure rates from all manufacturers. I have some 8 year old 250GB, 320GB and 500GB drives that are still in service. But I've never had a 1TB or greater drive last more than 3 years, regardless of manufacturer. Also, about 25% of drives over 1TB seem to arrive DOA, and another 25% die within 6 months.
My advice to anyone is as follows:
1) Never use a drive by itself. Use RAID1, RAID5 or RAID6.
2) Never put a drive into production until you've torture tested it by completely filling it with data, copying the data back to another drive (to ensure the data can reliably be read) and then repeating the write/read back/erase process at least twice more. Only then can you be sure the drive will pass the initial infant mortality phase.
3) If you use 8 or more drives in an array, RAID5 is not adequate. RAID6 is a must.
21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!