- ATSC / ClearQAM / NTSC
- PCI Interface
- Remote Included
Great Hardware, possibly QC issues, quirky software 12/25/2012
This review is from: MSI TV Tuner Card Digi@nywhere A/D Plus PCI Interface
Great Hardware - final I get crystal clear HDTV on my PC.
Very responsive warranty service.
Software is quirky.
Sparse software documentation.
I wanted to update my previous post but do not know how to do it Newegg reviews so I am posting a new review.
My previous post mentioned the fact that the card would only work with analog cable signals and no OTA. I have an amplified attic antenna for OTA so poor signal strength was not an issue. A few days after posting on this forum, an MSI rep contacted me and arranged to send in a replacement (even sent a shipping label - nice!). I am happy to mention that the new card works perfectly and I picked up 68 OTA stations including all of the major network HDTV transmissions. I have a 7 year old Dell GX280 2,8GHz PC running XP-SP3 and all HDTV pictures are crystal clear. I have not used the FM tuner or remote so cannot comment on those. So, overall this is an excellent piece of hardware that may have had some QC issues.
I don't have Windows MCE so used the included software Arcsoft TotalMedia 3.5. OTA scan is rather slow - took over 5 mins but otherwise works fine. It has a few quirks:
1. The stations are listed in random order, probably in the same order they were discovered. You can manually move each station up or down to sort them but it is tedious.
2. You can select your favorite stations but there is no way to default to the favorites listing. The program always starts with the full station listing and then you can choose the favorites view.
3. I sometime like to have my TV running in a small window by itself. This software can be run in in non-full screen in a smaller window about 25% of the main monitor but the window size cannot be customized and there is no way of hiding the menu bars in a non-full screen window.
4. HDTV picture is great but I was having momentary freezes while watching action sports. I do have a PCI-e video card with hardware acceleration. However, when I turned off hardware acceleration from the software settings, the freezes went away and the picture is very smooth.
5. If you wanted to reset TV settingts, the software warns that all stored settings will be deleted but it has a nasty habit of remembering them. If you rescan for digital TV channels, the same channel will be listed twice, one listing will be correct and the other will be a dummy listing. Again the only way to fix this is by manually deleting the 68 dummy channel listings one by one.
6. There is a printed manual with very sparse software section & many of the software menus are missing. I went to Arcsoft's site and found the manual for the full software but it does not match MSI's version. Arcsoft sells slightly crippled OTA versions to several hardware manufacturers so not all the features listed in the full version work and the MSI version does not have any updates.
7. I was able to make this card work with the freeware Mediaportal software but did not like the Channel menu and it crashed several times. If you have a newer 2-3 year old PC and/or Windows 7, you may want to give it a try.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!