- E - Everyone
- Genre Action More details to come!
- $35.00 –
- $1.99 Shipping (restrictions apply)
Best Donkey Kong since Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest 06/06/2013
This review is from: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Nintendo 3DS Game
- Fantastic port from the Wii version with minimal detail reduction.
- No motion control shenanigans this time around (subjective opinion) The "wii waggle" is replaced this time by the shoulder buttons creating a more reliable mechanism to access the various 'waggle' moves like rolling, blowing, and ground pounding.
- Additional levels created by the port team (Have not got to them yet, unlocking my 5th Temple level right now.
- Amazing gameplay and great animation and accuracy for the character models.
- Classic Nintendo humor.
- Nostalgia to the max.
- Slight detail reduction from the wii version, hardly noticeable.
- Running at 30 fps mostly. there was very VERY slight slow down on one or two levels when things got busy on the screen but worth mentioning for tech perfectionists.
- Instruction booklet is completely digital. Nintendo has been skimping on instruction booklets as of late and as a retro fan like myself (and who it seems apparent that this game is marketed for) I was disappointing to not have an instruction booklet with Cranky Kong throughout the pages wondering to himself if anyone actually reads them... I suppose they don't. :( He's not even in the digital version!!
Retro Studios is consistently the best 2nd party Nintendo studio out there. They are to Nintendo what Naughty Dog is to Sony with the exception of being 2nd party. They single handedly created the masterpiece that is Metroid Prime on the Nintendo Gamecube creating the definitive Metroid experience and have done the same with the Donkey Kong series. We as the retro fan gaming public are very fortunate to have a company like Retro Studios at the helm of some of Nintendo's more tricky to master franchises.
To end this review on a more snarky note, I just hope to the almighty spaghetti monster or whatever that Nintendo does not hand this series off to Team Ninja next. Ain't no body got time for emo kong or a whiny, angsty Donkey Kong. Thank you and good night.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!