- Intel Core i5 3230M (2.60 GHz)
- 4 GB Memory 500 GB HDD
- NVIDIA NVS 5200M
- 1600 x 900
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
All the info you need! 08/31/2013
This is a good computer, with lots of features, and reasonable expansion capability.
This is a model with lots of features, which should have included a fingerprint scanner.
Here are some answers to my previous questions:
The packing slip identified this E6430 model as version 469-4268. If you Google this number, you will find lots of descriptions of this particular laptop.
1) The OS is indeed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
2) This model has a back-lit keyboard.
3) The included memory is Samsung M471B5273EB0-YK0, rated for 1.35V. I replaced it with 2x4Gb of Crucial CT2KIT51264BF160B, also 1.35V. Works great!
4) Still can't confirm that the disk support is sata III. Probably is.
5) I can't find the HD "caddy" offered on the Dell site. I ordered one from China, with cable, and it works fine.
6) Three disks come with the computer: An OS reinstallation-DVD, a resource media DVD with device drivers and utilities, and a resource media CD with webcam software.
Further comments: This computer has an alternate pointing device ("joy stick") in the form of a small button nestled among the G,H,and B keys on the keyboard. I was disappointed that no fingerprint scanner came with this computer. Also, the power cable plugs directly into the rear of the computer. I ordered a right-angle adapter (search for LC90B) from the web which takes the strain off the power cord connection. Although good graphics support is not always available in Linux for Nvidia products, I verified that Kubuntu boots up fine from the 13..04 live CD. I also understand that the Linux community has found ways to satisfactorily cope with the Optimus graphic-switching software present in this computer.
All in all, I am very pleased with this computer. I lost some features from my previous laptop, but gained some too, and on balance I think I have a better computer.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!