- Intel Core i5 3230M (2.60 GHz)
- 4 GB Memory 500 GB HDD
- NVIDIA NVS 5200M
- 1600 x 900
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Followup to previous review 09/01/2013
A nice business-class laptop, fast and responsive, and quiet. Easy access to the memory and disk drive and other upgradeable parts. Sturdy, well-made magnesium case.
With all these features, a fingerprint scanner should have been included.
OK, here are the details: The packing list indicates that this computer is known as an E6430 version 469-4268. Search the internet and you will find out lots about this model.
1) The OS is indeed W7pro 64-bit.
2) The keyboard IS backlit.
3) The included 4 Gb stick of memory is Samsung M471B5273EB0--YK0, rated at 1.35V. I replaced it with Crucial CT2KIT51264BF160B. Works like a charm.
4) I still don't know if the connections are SATA III. Probably are.
5) I can't find a caddy offered by Dell. Bought one from China, which came with a cable. Now I have 3 hard disks connected, and could even connect more through the USB 3.0 ports. WOW!
6) Computer came with 3 disks: one W7pro system recovery DVD, one DVD with drivers and utilities, and one CD with webcam software. All on the last two were of course preinstalled.
One thing I missed from my old laptop was a right-angled power plug to take strain off the power cord. Adapters are available--look for "LC90. adapter". This model also comes with a small "joy-stick" pointing device nestled among the G,H,and B keyboard keys. I miss my old fingerprint scanner. One is available for this model, but not included in this version. Sometimes Nvidia graphics don't play well with Linux, but I have verified that Kubuntu 13.04 runs fine from the live CD. I think that the Linux community has found a way to provide a substitute for the Optimus graphics-switching software which is needed to take advantage of the Nvidia hardware present in this laptop.
All in all, this is a fine computer. I lost some capabilities from my previous laptop, but gained some with this one, and I would recommend this computer to anyone who could be happy with its features.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!