Very good device 10/19/2013
This review is from: Kingston Black/Gray 1800 mAh MobileLite Wireless G1 MLW221
- Build quality is excellent. Good heavy plastic which doesn’t allow LEDs to bleed, supplemented with aluminum to create a sturdy casing for the device. The SD card slots and USB ports are also nice and sturdy.
- Aesthetically pleasing. The device has a simple and pleasant color scheme coupled with clean lines and a simple shape which makes it look modern and keeps it from being an eyesore.
- Portable. The device’s images do it an injustice by not providing anything to reference its true size against. Be sure to read under details so you’ll understand just how small this thing is. I’d say as a rough comparison it’s about the same size as your average smart phone, except for being about twice as thick.
- Much like the device itself, the app has a nice clean look and is easy to use, it’s even kind enough to automatically find and conveniently arrange media on connected devices, if you want it to.
- Despite what my early tests indicated, the WiFi range of the device is very good, in my tests the range was 50+ feet in my house. Outside the range was slightly less, around 35 feet.
- The WiFi speeds of the device are also acceptable; they weren’t any slower than my phone when connected to my WiFi through normal means. My tests showed just under 1MB/s download, and about 125KB/s upload.
- Retains all functionality even while charging.
- A sub point to the above, you can daisy chain charging. What I mean by this is you can charge the device, and then have the device charge your phone or tablet at the same time.
- On the subject of charging, it was able to charge my phone (LG Optimus Elite) from 60%-100% in 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Includes two useful extras; the micro USB to USB cable, and a SD card adapter, the latter of which is only briefly mentioned and not even pictured.
- Power button is rather poorly positioned and quite a pain to actually press. I’m sure this was done to prevent accidentally powering it on, but it makes hard to intentionally power on. A small issue, it just means I have to operate the power button with my finger nails rather than my fingers.
- If you didn’t already have the device connected to a WiFi network and you decide to charge it, it doesn’t seem to want to connect to a network. Another fairly small issue, just make sure the device is connected to a network before charging.
- Manual. Is. Very. Unwieldy. Imagine back to the bad old days of having to undo a paper map while driving. Booklet please, Kingston.
- When connecting the device to a WiFi network, there is no notification if you’ve entered the password incorrectly.
- There aren’t many cons with this device, I think most of them are more missed opportunities than actual cons, so I’ll list them here.
- A carrying case, something simple, maybe worth five dollars, but it would have been a huge advantage to have a place to stash the device, some cables, SD cards, and flash drives.
- WiFi repeater, the device maybe quite small but I can tell just by tapping on it there is a lot of empty space inside. I think allowing the device to act as a WiFi repeater would be a useful feature that people would even go so far as to buy the device just to use it for that. Also, this occurred to me as well: you would think the device would by its nature act as a repeater, but it doesn’t because it doesn’t boost the signal, it only relays it.
- Somewhat of a sub point to the above, the devices antenna is only about as powerful as my phone’s, which I find disappointing because of all the free space inside the device. Being able to connect to a WiFi network from farther away than the devices you’re using would certainly be nice.
- Overall, this device does what it says it does, and does it well. The device is high quality, as you would expect from Kingston, it looks nice, works without making a fuss, and only has extremely minor cons. If you’re looking for a portable battery that can do more than just charge your devices, you could do much worse than this.
2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!