- Fastest 12X Blu-ray writing speed
- E-Green saves over 50% power consumption
- Blu-ray 3D support, 2D to 3D DVD conversion, DVD upscaling to HD 1080p (optional)
- $79.99 79.99
- $59.99 –
- Save: $20.00 (25%)
- $29.99 after $30.00 rebate card
- Free Shipping (restrictions apply)
Received a 4 MB cache version 12/18/2013
Did not get what I expected or ordered, what NewEgg shipped me was a model 'BW-12B1ST a' and is labeled just like that 'on the drive itself' even though the 'box' says 'BW-12B1ST' (without the 'a') ..also the box for this one has now left off listing on the box itself what size cache it is, whereas the one I bought 8 months does list it and 8 MB and the lable on the drive has no 'a' either.
There Is A Difference! with the 'a' version which has only a 4 MB cache! You can see what size cache by using various softwares, I used AID64 to check.
This webpage Product Specification as of today and for the last few months clearly says this has an 8 MB Cache.
However having said all that, the 'BW-12B1ST a' being a re-branded LG BH14NS40 Black 4MB Cache Blu-Ray Burner is a good drive within itself, but that's not what I ordered, I wanted the 8 MB Cache as it's listed, and this is only 4 MB.
I gave it a 3 star because of the situation, not because the 'a' version is a bad one.
There are two versions of the Asus BW-12B1ST:
1. There is a re-branded Liteon iBHS112-2 with an 8 MB cache, and the other version is a re-branded LG BH14NS40 with 4 MB cache.
2. The Liteon version has the capability of doing Quality Scans for DVD and Blu-ray discs and the LG version does not. The webpage for this product advertises that it's the 8 MB cache version which is the LiteOn clone. What they actually shipped was the LG clone with only 4 MB cache and incapable of performing Disc Quality scanning as the Liteon clone can, along with a few other minor features too.
NewEgg did right by it though, and I RMA'd the unit immediately and received my refund.
Thank You New Egg.
I had explained the problem specifically, hoping they would at least fix the webpage listing.
However a week later I see my review is posted, but the webpage still lists this unit as a 8 MB cache (as of today anyway)
I have no idea how many of the 'a' versions they had/have in stock, or even if any of the original version is available anymore.
Please fix your website description and weed out your stock to match to version you have.
I think it's ASUS fault for mixing two different re-branded versions under the same model number in the box, and depending on what shipment NewEgg receives depends what you get.
Am*z*n has had the same problem previously so it's not just NewEgg who has had this same issue with this ASUS drive.
17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!