- Intel Core i5 4200M (2.50 GHz)
- 6 GB Memory 1 TB HDD
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M
- 1920 x 1080
- Windows 8
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 17" Intel Core i5 4200M 6GB 1TB Win 8 (59387522)
+ Great hardware for the price. Full HD screen, back-lit keyboard, dedicated NVidia GPU, 4th gen Intel CPU, and great size HDD.
+ Very easy access to components in the bottom, just 3 screws and everything is accessible.
+ Plays most games very well, Starcraft II, FFXIV and Skyrim all run good/great.
+ Screen is quite bright on the highest setting (see more below).
- Screen. I'm kind of torn on how good it is. It is full HD and bright, but the viewing angles are pretty poor. If you're looking at it from the proper angle then it's great, but even slightly wrong tilt or angle and it rapidly changes colors and clarity.
- Keyboard. Lots of flex in the keyboard, it just seems cheap. The back light is great and the larger amount of spacing between the keys takes getting used to, but once you do get used to it, it's nice.
- Trackpad. Just as much flex as the keyboard, if not more. It's plain cheap. I've even had it stop functioning entirely while doing things, restarting the PC fixed it.
- Windows 8. I don't like Windows 8 and installed Windows 7. It's pretty clear that this machine was designed to use Windows 8, and it takes some work to get it working. Lenovo recently added some Windows 7 drivers, but I still feel like this laptop doesn't like it. I'd recommend not going down this road unless you feel like really messing with it.
Overall, this is a decent laptop but I don't think I'd buy it again if given the chance. As another review said the video playback seems... blurry in some situations. I can't quite figure out why, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not although games are always clear.
The 4-cell battery is pretty small considering the hardware inside the laptop, but if you have a laptop this size chances are you aren't going for mobility. Battery lasts 2-4 hours depending on use.
1 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!