- Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates
- Multiple 3-in-1 Router/Access Point /Range Extender wireless modes
- Two detachable 5dBi antennas
- 4 SSIDs help manage bandwidth allocation and access control
- $43.99 43.99
- $38.99 –
- Save: $5.00 (11%)
- Free Shipping (restrictions apply)
Great little router 02/11/2014
Very cheap when on sale
Compatible with DD-WRT and Tomato
Virtually unbrickable when upgrading firmware
range seems to be short
Bought this on sale for a great price. Out of the box, it is very easy to set up, if you do not want to or need to tweek the settings, you can be online in 5-10 min or less, it's that easy. However, this is the not the reason I bought this router. I do not buy any router that is not compatible with 3rd party firmware. This one seems to be compatible with both DD-WRT and Tomato, however, I had trouble to get DD-WRT to work with it. I then tried Tomato by Shibby, it works great. A few things that I want to share are:
- after uploading Tomato, you have to do a hard reset (a.k.a. 30-30-30 Peacock reset, google it) but the right button to use is the WPS button, not the recessed reset button. I had trouble before I figured this out, but once I use this button to do the hard reset, there is no problem to get the router to work after uploading a new firmware
- The first Tomato load I put on it had trouble with download speed when WMM is enabled, I was only getting 1-2 mbps but if I disable WMM, I get 50 mbps. Apparently, something is wrong with that build, I then tried the latest build, build 116, this time, everything works great.
- one great thing I like about Asus routers is they have a rescue mode so in case you messed up when playing with different firmware, you can still load factory firmware into it, It is very difficult to brick the router. Obviously, this is more for people who like to playing withe 3rd party firmware
- I did not use the factory firmware for very long, but it does seem to slow things down when I do online video streaming, using wired port, I'm not sure if this was due to some incorrect settings but I basically used the default settings. After I installed Tomato, thing are fast and stable.
2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!