- Game Faster, Quieter, Cooler.
- DirectCU II: 20% cooler and 3X quieter
- 30% less power noise and 2.5X greater durability
- GPU Tweak: Real-time intuitive graphics tuning
Round 1 goes to Captain Defective 07/16/2014
- while it worked it was incredibly powerful. ran assassins creed 4 max settings 60fps butter smooth @ 1080p, which is no small feat.
- power consumption very good, really impressed with the wattage I was seeing pulled from the wall
- looks great, the backplate looks really nice from outside case window.
- Asus really put some work into the PCB and non-reference design of the card itself. ASIC score was 86.3% which means they probably binned the GPU for this product.
- VRMs had a heat spreader on them, VRM temps never exceeded 80C
- card ran nice and quiet before it kicked the bucket.
- temps never went past 80C while It was working and I could monitor temps.
- Card virtually died after 5 days, blue screens, green-grey screen before running games, eventually black screen before windows logo and/or blue screens. spent 2 days installing different drivers, with mixed results of bluescreens and/or blackscreens with fans @ 100%.
- Elpida Memory... I'm not impressed Asus, you should know better. cheaper 290's with better coolers use Hynix...
- The fan on top of Gpu had faint clicking noise from day one, when spun with finger
- Cooler is not meant for 290, only 1 heatpipe out of 5 makes full contact with the GPU, but still keeps the card below 80 mostly.
- Big. make sure you have a big case.
Card is currently off to Newegg for RMA, and I will review again if/when I get a replacement with an appropriate score.
My advice to anyone looking to get a 290/290x: Research beforehand and get a card that does not have Elpida memory. I'm disappointed in Asus for some of the decisions made with this card, but After spending thousands of dollars on their products over the years, I am not ready to write them off just yet as another has-been.
Dear Valued Customer,
I'm glad that you experinced the power of the card prior to your RMA. If you ever have any issues with your ATI VGA cards please don't hesitate to contact me. Please be sure to place case number # N140731991 in the subject line for me to reference your case properly.
Asus Customer Loyalty
2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!