Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - Huge capacity
- First 4TB drive to market
- They run cooler than my previous Barracuda 1.5TB disks
- Rated for 24x7 use (though don't mistake these for "enterprise" class drives)
Cons: - Lots of other people are reporting problems (mainly high infant mortality rates).
Other Thoughts: For the last two months I've had 6 of these drives in a RAID array on an Areca ARC-1280ML (w/ 4GB BBU cache), under what I would call "medium duty" usage. Not a single problem so far, and great performance. I've been monitoring SMART stats with Hard Disk Sentinel and haven't yet seen any reallocated sectors. Temperatures stay around 35°C; and have never exceeded 42 (with push-pull cooling). The drives are just as quiet as any other modern HDD.
Taking other reviews into account, I suggest you take the time to break in new disks (exercise them with a period of intense reads/writes to weed out any premature failures) and then install them in mirrored, RAID6 or RAID-Z3 configuration. Array rebuild times for 4TB disks are huge; don't go RAID5 with consumer disks (Google "RAID 5 URE" for why).
Based on my own experience, if you heed the advice above, I see no reason to avoid this brand. All 4TB models are new and it will take time before any meaningful "in the field" reliability metrics are known. The seemingly-high DOA rate (especially on RMA replacements) is a cause for concern, but keep in mind users with negative experience are far more likely to leave feedback and those who are chugging along just fine.
Pros: Works great, runs cool, no problems.
Other Thoughts: Not sure if they autodetected correctly or not. I tend to manually set RAM speeds in my BIOS.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: areca ARC-6120-3 Controller Card Backup Battery
Pros: - Allows you to safely enable write-back cache.
- Lights up and emits a quiet beep every few seconds if you have an unclean shutdown and the battery is powering the cache.
- Works with the ARC-12xx, ARC16xx, and ARC-1880 products. Doesn't work with the new ARC-1882ix.
Cons: - Overpriced for a battery.
- Had to buy a replacement after couple years as the controller reported the battery was no longer good.
- No alerts/warning about the bad battery, so effectively I was operating in an unsafe mode for several months. (Maybe I just didn't have the alerts configured; suggest you test)
Other Thoughts: It would be nice if Areca designed these in such a way that the user could replace the battery on the module with a cheap, generic one. Also if it squawked a bit more when the battery needs replacement.READ FULL REVIEW
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.