Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: LG 3D WiFi Built-in Blu-ray Player BP335W
Pros: Compact Size
Cons: Stripped down features
Poor online content
Other Thoughts: No ethernet port, only wifi. Uses external power adapter. Only 2 online services - Netflix and Vudu.
1 year parts+labor warranty (had a Panasonic that conked out with only 90 day labor warranty.
Pros: 11x17 copy/print
Good wireless N networking
Cheaper ink compared to HP and Epson
Cons: Many software features don't work.
ADF results in crooked copies.
Must be left on 24x7
Cannot automatically select scannable area
No duplex copying or scanning
Fax over VOIP
Other Thoughts: Feature-wise, this AIO printer had everything I was looking for and was a bargain among printers that had 11x17 copy/print capability. I also needed the ability to occasionally scan from books for my students and the software mentioned a book copy mode that removes shadows from book spines, page edges, etc.
The reality is somewhat different and I wanted to highlight some of these items for people that are considering buying the printer.
1. Software lists and impressive set of copy enhancement features that work only when you make a printed copy. They do NOT work if someone wants to copy and save the image to a file.
2. The ADF is fine for multiple sheets but final images are crooked as if the paper feed isn't firm enough.
3. If printer is tuned off, the clock changes to 12:00 and has to be manually reset after the printer is turned back. There is no non-volatile memory for the clock. Also, if the printer is tuned off for several days, the print heads appear to get misaligned and require print head cleanings. If the printer is left on 24x7, it appears to do the necessary adjustments automatically.
4. The scannable area has to be set in advance if using one of the buttons on the machine. Thus, if the scannable area has been set to 11x17 and an 8.5x11 page is being scanned, the final scan will appear as an 11x17 page half of which is blank. However, one can choose the scanning area manually if using a software from a computer.
5. No duplex copying or scanning. If you have a bunch of 2-sided pages, you will need to copy one side first, flip the copies, flip the pages into ADF again, load the printed pages back into paper tray and then copy side 2. To scan to file, you will have to manually interleave the pages from the "front" and "back" files.
6. Manual mentioned a VOIP setting for faxes. I use Google voice with an Obhai adapter. Granted Faxing over VOIP is iffy, so I was very excited that they have a VOIP feature. Turns out that all that the feature does is drop the fax speed down to 9600b, but does not change EC mode or anything else. Needless to say, I am lucky to be able to send out only 1 page of a fax before getting errors. I had much better luck faxing over the same VOIP setup with a previous Epson AIO printer.
Pros: Used it as a secondary drive in my PC. Installed fine, ran quiet and cool. Low power draw.
Cons: After about 2 years of use, I noticed that some files were getting corrupted and Windows Backups were not completing successfully. There were no SMART errors during startup. Upon running the Drive tool from HGST, I started getting many errors. Ran chkdsk over 24 hours and a few of the files were fixed. Thankfully, the drive was under 3 year warranty and I just got a replacement. Return shipping was very S-L-O-W - took over 10 days for the drive to reach me in continental US.
Other Thoughts: The primary (boot) drive on the same PC is a 10-years old 7200 RPM drive that is still running fine. I also have a 7-year old Hitachi 250 GB PATA drive that is working fine. I thought the slower RPM of this Hitachi drive and lower running temp would make it last longer - NOT.
Newegg shows this drive as being Out of Stock so I am not sure if Hitachi has stopped selling it. The replacement drive has a Jan-2013 on the label so hopefully I got a new drive. I checked the warranty using the Serial No. of the new drive and it expires in 12 months. It appears that Hitachi is no longer confident of a 3-Year warranty.
Display Name: Anonymous
Date Joined: 09/12/03
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.