Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4650 100288L 1GB 128-Bit DDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card
Pros: - moderately priced, NewEgg's price beats any competitor's, as well as any online-auction sellers (can't use the "e" word), offering this card
- easy swap for PC's with existing ATI AGP video cards
- low power draw
- runs cool and quiet
- good accessories bundle (DVI-VGA connector, DVI-HDMI connector, RGB breakout connector, RCA gender changer (for RGB breakout), 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-e cable
Cons: - no DX10 support in WinXP (blame MS)
- weird choice of power connector. most AGP-based PC's will not have a PCI-E connector on their PSU so why not just build on a standard 4-pin Molex connector? Better yet, why bother at all when the AGP 8x bus can supply 75W and this card's max draw is 48W?
- Catalyst Control Center had to be manually installed
- Extremely sparse User's Guide (2 tiny pages) with poor instructions,
i. no advice to disable existing AGP adapter, remove drivers and CCC before installing new card (these are a MUST for a smooth swap),
ii. advises to check for updated drivers (DO NOT follow that instruction, the drivers on the Cd are as good as it get for WinXP)
Other Thoughts: If you need to upgrade an aging AGP-bussed PC, this is a good choice. The price is better than any competitive product from Team Green. The low power draw (max 48W) allows a small quiet fan to keep the heat down. Does a very nice job on smoothing video for my home security PC (Abit NF-7 mainboard, Athlon XP-M 2400+ (@2.7 GHz), 2 GB Mushkin EV PC-3200, 2 x WD Caviar EIDE 160 GB (Raid 0) + NSS, WinXP sp3). Install was dead simple:
1. Disable dying 1650 Pro in Control Panel>Hardware>Display Adapters,
2. Remove drivers and Catalyst CC with Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs,
3. Power down PC,
4. Remove old card/ install new card,
5. Power up PC,
6. Insert Driver CD when prompted by the "Found New Hardware Wizard,
7. Install drivers, dlls and other files,
8. Click on DVD icon to open CD and install Catalyst CC :(
9. Run ATiTrayTools to benchmark and verify correct operation,
10. Smile that you've given an old warrior a life extension.
Display Name: Andrew S.
Date Joined: 05/28/11
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.