Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: VERY Good writing quality.
This drive DOES indeed write to Verbatim DVD+R DL discs with VERY good quality . Tested writing them at 4x and at 8x, very good burns as indicated by quality scans on 2 different Lite-On drives and the Pioneer itself using Opti Drive Control.
Cons: Can't do Blu-Ray quality scanning.
Other Thoughts: The drive uses Zone Level recording for the 8X Burning on the DVD+R DL discs. This means that for the first layer about 2/3 is burned at 6x and the other 1/3 at 8x. Then it switches to the 2nd layer and burns the 1st 1/3 at 8x and the remaining 2/3 at 6x.
Some discs it uses CAV recording and some it uses Zone Level recording. Depends on the disk and the speed written at.
As far as the varying speeds the previous user was seeing. It uses an 'Intelligent' Burning algorithm where it checks the writing quality every so often (the speed fluctuations) as it is writing, and based on the checking, it then lower the overall burning speed if it finds the disc can't handle the current speed.
Only Firmware released so far is v1.10.
I have verified the writing speeds and VERY GOOD or BETTER writing quality on the following discs so far;
Verbatim DVD+R 16x (MCC-004) - written to at 8x, 12x, & 16x.
Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x (MKM-003) - written to at 4x, 6x, & 8x
Verbatim CD-R 52x - written to at 16x, 24x, 32x, & 40x
Verbatim Blu-Ray SL 6x (VERBATIMe) - written to at 6x, 8x, 10x, & 12x.
Optical Quantum Blu-Ray SL 4x (PHILIPR04) - written to at 4x, 6x, & 8x.
Verbatim Blu-Ray DL 4x (VERBATIMd) - written to at 4x, 6x, & 8x
Verbatim Blu-Ray DL 4x (MEI-T02 really Panasonic) - Written to at 4x, 6x, & 8x.
Optical Quantum DL 6x (CMCMAG-DI6) - written to at 4x, 6x, & 8x.
Pros: 1. Made by a fairly reliable company
2. Seems to be fair to good support and updates.
3. Extremely HIGH QUALITY burning. Even when overspeeding.
4. Matches a VERY wide variety of blank discs.
5. Burns many discs at higher than rated speed at very high quality (overspeeding)
6. Auto sets the Booktype for DVD+R's and DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM. This is a good thing for maximum compatibility with set top players.
7. Reads C2 errors. Good for those who do quality scanning.
Cons: 1. Maybe a little on the noisy side, especially when opening/closing the tray.
2. Can only do DVD quality scanning, CAN NOT do BluRay quality scanning...at least not using Opti Drive Control.
3. Can't change the Booktype settings like you can with Lite-On drives. But it does auto set the booktype to DVD-ROM for DVD+R and DL discs.
Other Thoughts: HIGHLY Recommended unit.
Other than the Booktype bitsetting, which is partially offset by auto setting the DVD+R types to DVD-ROM and the fact that it only does quality scanning for DVD's and not BR's. It is every bit as good as a Lite-On drive and maybe slightly better/more consistent on the quality of the burned discs.
So far, I have tested the burning speeds and quality of the burns for DVD+R, DVD+R DL, and BR SL discs. EXTREMELY HIGH quality. As good or slightly better than discs burned with Lite-On unit iHBS212 B.
I have checked it against my library of blank discs, CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, BR SL, and BR DL. So far it has recognized at lest 98% of all the blanks I have (over 70 different types/speeds/disc ID's)
My BluRay Burner preferences would be;
1. Lite-On drives. (Full quality scanning, Full Booktype setting)
2. Pioneer Drives (Limited quality scanning, Limited Booktype setting))
3. LG Drives (Can't do quality scanning)
Pros: Fantastic monitor for the money.
Nice vibrant, brilliant colors.
LED Backlighting is more than sufficient.
Nice reasonably fast 5ms response time.
No dead pixels. Not a single bad pixel.
Cons: Only 2 coms that I could say would be;
1. No DVI Cable included.
2. From base to bottom of monitor is fairly short. Only a couple inches. Needs to be a bit taller ar adjustable for height.
Other Thoughts: You can not go wrong here. It is absolutely a GREAT buy.READ FULL REVIEW