Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - Insanely fast: Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 everything maxed out very smooth. At 1400 x 900, this card is complete overkill, but I'm getting a 1920 x 1200 monitor soon, so I can actually test this thing.
- Very quiet considering its size and horsepower. The card has a low hum, but it's easy to drown out, and the card doesn't really get too loud until the fans get around 60%
- Card runs cool despite being a high end card with lots of processing power. During gaming and benchmarking with Unigine, the card never gets about 57. Stress testing with EVGA OC Scanner X brings the card all the way up to 76, but that's the only time it ever gets near that temperature. Room temp is 22.
- Easy overclock with noticable gains. I was able to add 150 MHz to the core clock to bring it to 1384 MHz, and I was able to add 430 MHz to the memory to bring it to 3434 MHz. Result was a gain of 8 fps in Unigine Heaven benchmark.
Cons: - Size: This card huge! I knew it was a 3 slot card, but I was still shocked when I got it! Make sure you have a good 10.5 - 11 inches of room in your case. I was able to fit it easily in my Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 once I took the top HDD cage off, but reinserting it only left me with about a 1/2 inch of room.
Other Thoughts: - I actually got this card used from a friend for $350, so I can't make a good judgement on its value, but I'd say the GTX 770 is a better value now, since it's cheaper and a little faster.
- As I said before, this card is HUGE, so make sure you've got room for it, a good power supply (550W high efficiency or better), and a 6 pin and 6 + 2 pin PCI-E power cable.
Overall this card is amazing, I expect to get my full money's worth out of it for at least two years, so it's definitely a worthy buy, but as I said, the GTX 770 is probably a better value now.
i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
ASUS GTX 680 2GB
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
WD Caviar Green 1TB
SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Pros: - Fast
Runs Battlefield 3 at High presets on 32 man servers - 60fps average.
Crysis 2 single player at ultra high presets and high res texture pack and DirectX 11 - 50fps average
Crysis 3 single player at medium presets - 35 to 60fps
Under full load, temps never exceed 61 °C with fan speed at 71%
Air is pushed out of the back of the case, keeping the card from polluting the rest of the case with hot air and making it more suitable for SLI
- Factory Overclock, faster than the reference model
- Stable and easy to install Nvidia drivers, as expected
- Good price for the performance
Cons: - low overclock, only able to achieve 60 mhz core and 180 mhz, but it's better than nothing
- video flicker on Youtube when scrolling, not a huge issue, but a little annoying, only happens when I'm scrolling thankfully
- got mine on sale from another vendor and didn't get a case badge. Sadness :(
Other Thoughts: Got this as a replacement for my Galaxy GeForce GTX 465. Big improvement performance wise. My current problem with the card is my processor. My AMD Phenom II X4 965 is slowing this thing down in CPU heavy games like BF3. As a result, I can't give great benchmark numbers, because the CPU is bottle necking. Will be upgrading to an i5-3570K soon, so I should see big improvements after that.
Overall, despite my system bottlenecks, this card is fantastic and worth buying. High performance, low noise, low temps, low power draw, SLI capable, EVGA warranty and support. Card looks pretty nice as well :)
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked
AMD Phenom II X4 965
GIGABYTE AM3 Motherboard (sorry don't remember the specs)
8GB (4 x 4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws series GDDR3 1600 RAM
COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU cooler
Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower ATX Computer Case with 650W power supply
Very well priced
Red color looks awesome!
Cons: - none so far
Other Thoughts: This is my second set of Ripjaws RAM that I've purchased and it is awesome! Upgraded from 4 GB to 8 GB and the difference is huge! Certain areas in Skyrim were extremely choppy due to all the textures that had to be loaded. With 8 GB of RAM, this went away, and I was even able to turn on some extra foliage mods without any issues. For only $30, this RAM is a steal!READ FULL REVIEW
Display Name: Jackson G.
Date Joined: 12/30/12
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.