Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: It's actually quite an alright laptop for the price.
* It has a massive amount of hard drive space. I have about a hundred Steam games. Granted, not all of them are installed, but games nowadays run into the gigabytes, and I never even have to think about space.
* 12GB of memory. That's a lot for a mid-range option, and it shows when you're the type of person who leaves your computer on for a month or more without restarting or turning it off. (Don't jump to conclusions - I *do* hibernate it so I'm not gobbling up power!)
* It turns on smoothly and quickly. For all people whine about Windows 8, this laptop turns on much quicker than Windows 7 from all 3 states: off, sleep, and hibernation.
* It's a rather large laptop, which is *good* for a gamer. I hate small keyboards.
* It is not loud at all. If you hear a whirring, then you're probably using the laptop to such an extent that such a sound doesn't matter. If you're worried about the weight then you aren't looking at the right class of laptops - but that being said, it's not that heavy either.
Cons: For the purposes of gaming, this laptop is actually disappointing for the price.
* The maximum resolution is 1920x1080. There have been 1920x1280 monitors commonly available for around ten years, and the graphics card can't support them.
* The Intel HD Graphics 4600 graphics adapter is just not that great. 3-5 year old games sometimes can't get 30 FPS.
* It comes with bloatware. I don't hold it against this particular laptop/brand, though, because lots of similar laptops from many other brands will do the same.
* Power vs cost - This isn't a bad laptop by any means. But - if you're not into power specs, then you should probably be buying a cheaper laptop. If you ARE into power specs, then I would argue that these results for the cost just aren't worth it. I bought this laptop a half year ago, so maybe by the time you're reading this review it's now worth it. But I feel like once you are in the $1K+ range, you should be looking for fairly powerful options, and this laptop provides mid-line results. This laptop sacrifices graphical power for memory and hard drive space, so if that's what you're looking for, ignore this bullet point.
Other Thoughts: In the end, this isn't a bad laptop. It's just not amazing.
So, would I recommend it? Yes, if the price is right.