Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel ML04B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
Pros: - Very attractive design if used in an entertainment unit
- Ample space for drives for a smaller case
- adjustable led brightness
- lockable front door
- some cable ties and a lot of mounting hardware is provided
Cons: - Silverstone logo and name are obnoxiously large, why not just the logo or make them much smaller ( I read they can be removed with Goof Off without damaging the finish I will try this)
- like other reviews I read, I found the header cables from the front panel are way too long unless for some reason you are mounting your MOBO outside the case in which case they are perfect. Not that big a deal though.
- The correct installation method for drives is not clear at all. You get these yellow silicone grommets and several different length screws with coarse and fine threads. What install position are the grommets for? None of the screws seem to be the correct length to include or omit them when using the little plastic tower to mount a drive. I guess they are for the chassis mounting position but there is no indication. The manual provides no detail on what is going on here.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely a good case for the money. It looks nice and accommodates the build of an HTPC with existing full size ATX psu if you have one already, which I did. Keep in mind it will not accommodate an optical drive if you do not use SFX though. Not a big deal for me. I loved that the power button and front panel can be locked. If you have toddlers it is great not to have to worry about it. I found the included screws somewhat irregular. Some would fit in where they were supposed to, but not all. It is good they provided many extra because I needed to try several to fit the standoffs and psu mounting holes. Extra standoffs didn't seem to fit in the provided holes, maybe you are supposed to torque them in? Most of the design of this case is awesome. It is really just the piddly stuff that is taking away. Make a better manual, images don't have to be fancy but make them big enough to actually show something. Provide screws and standoff that actually fit the components. I like this case but it could be a super popular outstanding case for just a tiny bit more effort.READ FULL REVIEW