Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: Backside oriented cooling solution opens a window into sandwiching your components between vram/vrm heatsinks and the backside heatsink for maximum cooling.
Cons: Very poorly thought out product overall. Bought it for a 5850 with busted fan.
1. The picture instructions take unnecessarily longer to follow than written instructions if they were provided.
2. The heatsink came with mx-4 readily applied. There is far too much mx-4 here to make for efficient cooling. There is enough for more than 3 separate applications here.
3. Once the tim is removed, the surface of the heatsink has a terrible finish with very deep circular grooves. Lapping is a must.
4. The heatsink would not contact the vpu when the 1mm plastic washers were applied.removing it works but means the metal screws are going to grind into your card.
5. There is barely enough thermal pads supplied for my 8 vram card.
6. The thermal pads are far too thick at 5mm and this results in lousy cooling efficiency. This also causes the card to warp severely when the clamps are tightened. I resolved this partially by using high quality 2mm thermal pads.
7. If you tighten the clamps fully as per the instructions, the card warps severely around the thermal pads whether using 2mm or 5mm. Furthermore, the rubber pads on the clamps slilde to either side, allowing the metal clamps to make contact with and short out components on the card.
If you clamp it upto the point where warping begins, the main vram thermal pads make good contact with the heatsink but the thermal pads on the vrms which are lower height than vram don't make contact. I resolved this by using the provided 5mm pads for these low rise components.
8. The vram at the top (and bottom if you have any) will not make full contact with the backside heatsink due to the large holes in the sink for the vpu mounting screws and washers. Several components around the vpu cannot be cooled because of this.
9. The protective film is extremely annoying and fiddly to cut to size. This would not have mattered if the rest of the card was less fiddly.
Other Thoughts: Buy it if you are willing to lap it properly and if you are willing to spend $$ on better thermal pads.
Once you get it installed, as fiddly as that is, it will make for excellent cooling especially if front side heatsinks for the vram and vrm's are applied. There is plenty of opportunity for the air from the front hsf to cool the front side heatsinks as it was with the twin turbo II/extreme III.
Be warned! If your motherboard uses full height heatsinks near the card there will not be enough room for the backside heatsink. Since my ASRock 970 Pro3 uses part low height heatsinks, I had no problems. You may end up having to plug the card into a second pci-ex slot due to this.
Display Name: Sharon I.
Date Joined: 04/19/09
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.