Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 2.5" 750GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TE750BW
Pros: (1) Excellent SSD. I replaced my 750GB SATA3 5400 rpm drive on my Toshiba S875 laptop and while I knew it'd be faster, it was actually faster than I expected. Boot times are under 10 seconds for both Win'7 & Win'8 (x64).
(2) For the curious: My laptop's Window Experience Index (WEI) is now an even 8 for the primary hard disk in Win'8x64 (7.9 in Win'7x64). My Processor, RAM, Graphics and Gaming are 7.8, 7.8, 6.7 and 6.7 respectively.
(3) Cool Samsung Magician program.
Cons: (1) As always with new hardware, reliability remains a question mark especially with these new drives using TLC technology. Apparently it's greatly reduced though they say you should get about 10 yrs from it (rated 19 yrs by Samsung) but of course that'll depend on how you use the drive. Consider this: SLC NAND type memory is rated at 100,000 program/erase cycles per cell while TLC NAND is 10x less @ 10,000 program/erase cycles per cell.
(2) I don't get the 98K and 90K IOPS consistently enough. Perhaps it goes down the more data you put on it?
(3) Though this is normal these days, you'll wind up with only 465.76 GB capacity on a 500 GB drive.
(4) SSD's are still overpriced!
Other Thoughts: (1) For those who are enabling RAPID mode and think their drive is faster consider this...While you're getting faster sequential reads and writes due to the extra RAM it steals from your system, the random reads and writes (IOPS) are slower.
With Rapid mode on I get about 70K for both seq. read and write while I get the advertised 98K and 90K IOPS for random read & write. And random reads/writes is way more important than seq. reads/writes (unless you're often doing large file copying).
(1) I got the 500 GB version but with the 750 GB version being discounted by $50 today I may do an exchange as I'll get an extra 250 GB for $120. After installing Win'8x64 and Win'2008 vm with Exchange 2010 I'm down to only about 100 GB of free space on my laptop...which leaves ample space but probably not for too long if I want to install some games and more apps like Pinnacle Studio and doing some 1080p video importing and rendering.
(3) First time Samsung customer and while I had bad experience with their LED tv's this SSD is so far making up for it...mind you it's only been a week.
(4) I went with the Max. Reliability optimization for improved reliability as it does less writes by disabling your Windows Search Indexing (which I could care less for).
(5) I give it 5 eggs as so far I'm very happy with the upgrade (except when I look at the price on my receipt and bank statement).
Toshiba S875-004 laptop:
RAM: 8 GB
Matshita BD-ROM/DVD+/- RW
Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW
Pros: Crisp picture. Bright. Nice menus and overall very intuitive. It was great while it worked.
Cons: After 30 days (of course past Newegg's RMA), the system turned itself off (no, not sleep mode or anything like that). A few days later again. I've now owned it for 2 months and I can't use the tv anymore. It powers itself off and on now. I tried unplugging it for a few mins. Same problem!! I thought Samsung tv's were great! Pff!
Other Thoughts: My first and last Samsung tv! I'll stick to Sony and LG from now on! Don't buy this tv refurbished. Actually, don't buy it at all otherwise you're risking a problem much sooner than later.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: Optical Quantum 25GB 6X BD-R 25 Packs Spindle Disc Model OQBDR06LT-25
Pros: Discs are perfect. And they even burn at 12x (the max. that my bd-r drive can do).
I will certainly be buying more when I run out.
Cons: None with the discs, but I'll try to avoid Newegg.ca as their shipping is a lot more expensive than its competitor which I can't mention here (TD)...at least for Canadians. I mean $11? C'mon. Newegg can do better.
Other Thoughts: moonliterusa: Several of us are using the LG WH12LS38 with this media and not a single coaster, regardless of what speed I burn at. Tried 4x, 6x and even 12x (which I didn' t expect) all with 100% verified success.
Read my 1st review for possible fix. Also, try another sata port (and cable) and make sure you have it configured correctly in the BIOS. If you haven't tried, try Nero Burning Rom. Just be sure to set it to BD-R as for me it defaulted to BD-R DL and my first 3 burn attempts failed.