Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - Great price for the hardware. Even without the discrete graphics card, the price is still pretty good for the hardware.
- Surprisingly decent screen and speakers. It's not going to fill a living room, but it's acceptable for watching Netflix on a desk.
Cons: - Hard drive is extremely slow. Replace with an SSD or this laptop will basically feel like it's from the early 2000s.
- Tons of bloatware. Paired with the slow hard drive makes this laptop unusable.
- A USB-C port or USB 3.1 port would've been a great addition. For the price, I doubt you can find a laptop with this.
- Not a big fan of the trackpad's texture or responsiveness. It's not unusable but it's not great.
Other Thoughts: - I would only recommend this laptop to people who are familiar with computers. You need to replace the hard drive with an SSD and uninstall all the bloatware (or reinstall windows) to really get the most out of the laptop.
- I really question Acer's decision not to put in a faster hard drive (7200 RPM or an SSD). If I were a lay user and didn't know how to upgrade the hard drive, I would never purchase Acer laptops again. I cannot emphasize enough how slow this 1 TB hard drive is. I got a hard drive caddy and an SSD, and even using this as a storage drive feels slow. Along with the high access times, I'm getting a maximum 70 MB/sec sustained write throughput, which is just not acceptable by today's standards, even for a storage drive.
This review is from: ASUS STRIX TACTIC PRO Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches
Pros: This is my first mechanical keyboard and I am overall impressed the quality and the cherry MX switches. It has a very different feel than a normal membrane keyboard. I don't really think this is that much "better" than a normal keyboard but it is more responsive and you can type with less effort.
I like the overall layout of this keyboard including the multimedia keys and the scroll wheel which controls the volume level.
Cons: Asus's software is garbage. I don't have a use for keyboard macros so this is not a concern for me.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: - Great value for a 24" 144 Hz monitor
- Fast response time
- 3D capable
- Color accuracy is good enough for 99% of users. (If you are a professional image/video editor, you'll need more than this 6-bit panel can deliver. I'm satisfied watching HD movies on this, but just make sure you follow the calibration tips from tom's hardware.)
Cons: - I only ordered one.
- It is a TN display so there's some limitations to the viewing angle.
- Speakers are laughably bad. I'd rather they didn't include them than include these tin cans.
- Out-of-box calibration could be better, but it's still pretty good.
Other Thoughts: Just note: HDMI does not support higher refresh rates so if you plan on taking advantage of the higher refresh rates, you need to use the dual-link DVI or display port for the higher rates. So if you are stuck with HDMI (laptop users), you will not be able to take advantage of the higher refresh rate.READ FULL REVIEW