Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Synology CS407e Diskless System 4-bay SATA NAS Server
Pros: - It has been 100% Reliable for me. I have never lost any data. I use RAID 5 w/ 4 Samsung 750GB HDs. I removed a drive just to see if it worked and it worked fine.
- I use almost all the features: BT downloading, FTP Server, Web Server, Photo Station, and the backup features. (The only feature I don't use YET is the surveillance server - but I will next month!)
- It streams my 1080p content flawlessly to my Vista machine.
- Synology has frequent firmware updates, extensive forum support, and a reliable technical support team.
- The built-in backup utilities work fine (although I use SyncBack SE).
- It uses standard Linux RAID. In case of a hardware failure, you could recover the data with any PC in Windows using UFS Explorer Pro (or any similar proram) or install the drives into another Synology drive.
- Synology has released a free "package" which adds an email server feature to the drive.
Cons: - When using all the features simultaneously, the machine gets bogged down a little.
- Even though it has gigabit LAN, the transfers are a little slow (about 5-7 MB/s write, 8-11 MB/s read). I use ALL of its features, though. Would probably be faster if I disabled some.
Other Thoughts: - I own 2 other Synology drives (DS107e) and love them. I use one for business purposes and have it automatically backup its content to my other DS107e kept at my brother's as an offsite backup. Works great.
- As mentioned by other users; the system can get boggy if you use many of the advanced features. If you can afford it, I would recommend upgrading to the CS407 (has faster processor and twice the memory) or the newer 408 and 409 series.
- I purchased a 1.5TB external HD and have the CS407e backup to it every night using its internal backup software.
- It seems to handle two large-file transfers simultaneously without lag, but when three or more users are pulling from it (or if it's performing a backup) it will lag some, but it has never failed to finish any transfers for me.
Display Name: William S.
Date Joined: 05/02/12
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.