Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Acer Chromebox CXI-2GKM Celeron 2957U (1.40GHz) 2GB DDR3L 16GB SSD Google Chrome OS
Pros: - good value for money on sale
- upgradeable (m.2 SSD and Memory)
- easy to take apart, though many many screws
- 2 SODIMM slots for DD3L - potentially up to 16G of RAM
- CoreBoot so they boot very quickly
- somes with mounting bracket
- Good for streaming content (h.264)
- upgrades handled by google
- comes with 5GHz 802.11n (way better than chromecast over crowded 2.4)
Cons: - slightly noisy compared to ASUS
- chromeOS (though to some might be an advantage)
- annoying to take apart but no glue or weird clips
- keyboard and mouse are poor and wired
- power LED is horrendously bright
Other Thoughts: I got mine on sale. I have other chromeboxes which I've repurposed as small quiet and useful general purpose linux boxes. This one is staying a chrome box. I specifically bought this to stream video to a 1080p TV. It does this job admirably with Chome OS 42.
If you like ChromeOS, then you already know what to expect. Low maintenance, regular updates and the ability to nuke it from orbit quickly and easily using a built in factory reset mode. Streaming content via a browser is a snap.
Pros: IPS Unit. Low cost. Value monitor.
Cons: Apple disables font smoothing by default for non-apple monitors.
Other Thoughts: echo ""
echo "Enabling subpixel font rendering on non-Apple LCDs"
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
This review is from: HP Smart Buy 1910-24G Smart Managed 24-port Gigabit Switch (JE006AS#ABA)
Pros: Good price for a managed 24 port gigabit ethernet switch. If you bypass the goofy web interface you can take advantage of it's real power using the CLI.
Search for an H3C S3100 series switch manual to get the full low down on how to configure it.
To enable the real CLI: _cmdline-mode on
Cons: - crippled CLI out of the box
- doesn't support switch to switch mode out of the box
You have to turn on trunking port by port using the web interface or via the CLI.
Other Thoughts: Look through the H3C manual and you will find this switch is extremely powerful. 24 ports of Gigabit Ethernet with a full ARM CPU, 128MB of RAM on board.READ FULL REVIEW
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.