Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-SG105 Unmanaged 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch, Metal Case, Power-Saving
Pros: This is a very sturdy switch with a nice metal housing. It has a bit of weight to it, which I think is very nice. Switches that are made of plastic tend to fly around at the mercy of the cables plugged into them. As with most consumer switches of this type, you just plug it in and forget it. No setup required.
It is very compact, not much wasted space in the design.
Link lights are bright and straight forward, also the 10/100/1000 link light is bright and reassures you that you are getting gigabit speeds.
I was able to transfer a 100gb file at a steady 112mb/sec on my local network. This is a great speed that almost maxes out the 125mb/sec maximum speed that is theoretically attainable with a gigabit connection.
No noticeable hiccups or burps while running 4 machines + the uplink at my desk.
Came with attachable rubber feet. Also has mounting holes on the underside. Does not come with screws for the mounting.
Cons: Nothing really. It is good for what it is. You aren't going to be configuring STP, or VLANs via a command prompt with this switch, but you can plug it in and go to town with no set up or difficulties.
Other Thoughts: I think this switch is a bargain, especially when it is on sale. I would not hesitate to recommend it for a small home/office network.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: Still working great after a month or two. I've come to really enjoy having this camera. It has come in handy for quite a few things. Primarily keeping an eye on a pet recovering from surgery while I was at work/away. After setting the camera up to auto switch between day/night mode, the smartphone app is a fantastic tool to have. I couldn't recommend this enough to anyone who can dream up a use for the camera.
Cons: None since my original thoughts on my first reviewREAD FULL REVIEW
Pros: 1. Very easy setup for browser/mobile app use.
2. Well constructed. This camera is put together well and does not feel cheap/dinky. Much better than I expected prior to opening it. It is also fairly large.
3. WiFi setup was easy, no issues.
4. Free moble app for iPhone.
5. Motion sense works well and you can configure in depth if you choose. You can pick which points of the view will trigger the motion detect feature. This is great to keep pets from triggering it, but still capture human activity.
6. Night Vision works very well! You can see great detail.
7. Comes with a cat5 cable and mounting bracket + screws.
Cons: 1. The SecureView Pro software that comes with the camera seems like trash in my opinion. It is in no way necessary if you just want to use this 1 camera and monitor it from the app/web browser. However if you are looking to integrate multiple cameras I would recommend looking for another software package. The camera itself is fantastic though.
2. I had issues setting up the camera initially. I was doing it via ethernet, not wireless. It would not accept the default username/password even after being hard reset a few times while trying to do the installation from the CD. I downloaded the latest installation software from the trendnet website and had no issues after that. I also updated the firmware to the latest version without a problem.
Other Thoughts: Overall I would easily recommend this to anyone looking for a good wireless camera. Being able to look all around the room from a web browser / cell phone is nice. You can also setup alerts for it to notify you if motion is detected.
This camera is better built than some of the business class camera systems that I have to deal with at work. It also a better feature set than some of them.
Hopefully the installation issue I had with the software provided on the cd-rom was a fluke. I have not seen it mentioned in the other reviews, and it was easily remedied by downloading the latest installation software from the Trendnet website. It was the only strike I had against an otherwise great product.
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.