Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: The unit does what it advertises.
Cons: Build quality isn't the best and the fan is noisy. Okay for an office environment but not where you want quiet.
Other Thoughts: There is a switch in the back to turn the fan off but most drives will get hot enough that the fans should be on.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel ML04B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
Pros: The case is well constructed and surprisingly there was more room in it than I had expected.
* Solid construction
* ATX Power supply
* Front plate (don't see all the DVD logos, card readers, usb ports, etc)
Cons: There were a few cons that were troubling.
* Need more mobo mounts (weren't options for mounts near power supply)
* Little air flow over hard drives (buy quiet 80mm case fans)
* Tight between power supply and back of DVD
* Rubber mounts not the greatest
Other Thoughts: This is a very good case with a few minor problems that can be worked around. The design would benefit with a fan mount between the drives. If you can afford it I would recommend building your system with SSD and 2.5" drives.
Bought this case because I could use my existing hardware and it would let me use my Ceton card. That meant using my 2 existing 3.5" drives. Because this system is going to reside in the living room I wanted it to be quiet so I didn't install any additional fans. When I powered the system up within a few minutes the drives were running at over 55c. Thankfully I had a couple spare fans laying around but I couldn't get the temp on the drive under the DVD down until I figured out how to mount a fan in the middle of the case between the drives. Once I did these things the system is running well and I'm happy.
One other thought. While the case is roomier than I expected you may want to be careful in what power supply you choose. I chose a SeaSonic non modular power supply because they've performed well for me over the years, tend to have stable power, and are well built. One thing SeaSonic does is wrap their cables in mesh. With all the cables it adds up to a lot of bulk. I was able to bury a lot of the unused cables under the DVD between the hard drive mount and power supply. Even with that, there were some challenges trying to keep air flow over the drives. I wonder how a modular power supply would work with the tight clearance with the DVD drive.
Pros: If you want to record and watch TV from 1 PC then this card performs well. I haven't experienced the lock ups/tuner in use issues as reported by other users.
Cons: If you want to share this tuner with other PCs or xbox 360 then I would strongly urge a different product. Video/Audio stutters and hangs on remote devices and support is VERY poor:
• No phone number to call for support
• Days to respond to cases opened on the support portal
• Close cases without resolution (Opened a support case with Ceton about the network driver/bridging issue. They said it was a known problem and that they were working on it. As of 6/12/12 that was over 3 months ago. Have asked for updates and got nothing. Finally they just closed the case with no resolution. Had to open a new one.)
Other Thoughts: If it weren't for the fact that the device is working well locally I would have given it a 1 star rating. One of the reasons I bought this card was the reviews stating how good Ceton's support was. I hope my experience is the exception.READ FULL REVIEW