Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
Pros: - very good ventilation concept while keeping it silent. even with just 2 fans on 5V it doesn't really get warm (I don't have graphics card, so you may need more fans if you have one, unless you want to run them above 5V)
- the larger cage can be turned 90° or taken out. Turning 90° improves airflow (so does taking out obviously)
- 140 mm fans included (2x)
- fan control included. i first thought i don't need that because my MB has fan control. but realized the MB only throttles down to 60%. The R5 fan control seems to use the 5,7, 12V option. People have complained about 3 fan connectors for fan control only, but you can just use a splitter to add more fans. Before I bought this case I was sure to never use that fan control, but now I'm glad I have it. I ordered 2 more fans, so even at full load I can use lowest setting.
- really great cable management with the velcro strips and many locations to add cable ties.
- really great drive cage setup with many options
- solid design and manufacture
- easy to work on
- good side panel design for people that work on the PC all the time :)
- really nice design (imho) that looks good and also will look good in some years. nice, conservative.
- good sound-dampening. Especially when you work at night when it is quiet around you.
- filtered air intake for all bottom fans (incl. power supply) and front fans that is easy to clean. dust will prevent cooling over time, this is a really
great feature. I was shocked when I took the guts out of my old case (no filter) how dusty it was and the dust went into every corner of PS etc.
- Lots of attention to detail, like buffered HDD screws, back-ventilated SSD, top fan covers.
Cons: I didn't take an egg off, but it would be nice to have a 3.5" external drive option. It has two 5.25", which is great for DVD drives. but I have a 3.5" card reader and that just hangs in there. not a biggie since the door is closed anyway. My old case had a 5.25"-3.5"adapter that I could use to screw it in, but don't have a cover.
Other Thoughts: I had a Coolermaster CM 690 that seemed too loud and dusty. I cross-shopped with a beQueit case. This one won out over the beQuiet because:
- bQ has bottom filter access from behind, which requires me to move the PC to clean the filter.
- bQ has only 3 HDD options (not a dealbreaker in the days of SSD...)
- bQ didn't have such good cable management
- bQ comes with a rear 120 mm fans, which I think compromises the silent idea. This R5 comes with 140 mm fans only
I also looked at the Fractal Design Define S. I liked the idea of only 3 HDD that are side-mounted. But I could not imagine not having a DVD burner or card reader in a PC. Yes we barely use DVD nowadays. But how do you get your DVDs on the PC? Or pictures from camera on the PC? Having external DVD will just clutter up the desk.
Pros: it is really fast (a GB just takes some seconds); their RMA service is fast and good. I received an RMA number within a day and the new piece within a bit over a week inc. shipping
Cons: the first one had a flaw with the card reader (the USB port worked) and i had to return it. therefore 4 eggs only.
Other Thoughts: Since the first one had failed (the first time ever a component failed on me in 10 years!) i was disappointed. but their RMA service was really great and the new device works great. On the one had failure is not acceptable, on the other hand I'm glad to know they really provide good service.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Pros: the BIOS (UEFA) is really fast, even with RAID. Bootup time is superb (especially with SSD the BIOS time is important).The fan control and all other gadgets really work well.
Other Thoughts: Keep in mind this bard can't OC the CPU, which is fine for i3 or lower CPU that can't OC anyway. For me it has all the features it needs. Sure there are boards with more features, but those also slow down bootup time.READ FULL REVIEW