Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: Supports a/b/g/n/ac.
Small, cool, quiet (obviously, it has no fan).
Included dock is nice and helps you save some USB space in case your ports are too close
Rotating antenna is nice and also helps save some space
Works just fine with Windows 7-default drivers. Netgear has Win10-compatible drivers on their website.
Drivers on Netgear's website seem to be fairly regularly updated (8/17/2015, 7/1/2015, 6/29/2015
You don't need Netgear's wireless software to make this work. I'm not really sure why any company makes wireless software anymore since the built-in Windows wireless software works just fine. By software I don't mean drivers, I mean the menu options you use to select what wireless networks to connect/disconnect from.
Cons: Only USB 2. Shouldn't affect wireless performance since that's still plenty of headroom at 480mbps, but still, it's 2015 already!!
Cable for the dock is pretty short. About 3 feet, but in practice it seems much shorter than that.
I've only been using this for a week or so, so I can't speak for long-term reliability. I haven't had any issues with it, but looking through the reviews it seems others have.
Other Thoughts: Summing up - this has worked just fine for me over the past few days. Speeds are good and more than enough for web browsing, streaming video, and light gaming. I'd recommend this unit with the caveat that you read through a few of the other reviews to see if any of their environments more closely match yours than mine.
Here are some bandwidth speed test results for you. All tests were a standard Windows copy and paste over the wireless network of a 42GB Avatar M2TS Blu-Ray file transferred from my WIn10 Pro home server to my Win7 Pro Lenovo laptop via a NETGEAR R8000-100NAS Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wireless Router. I live in a crowded townhouse community with tons of competing b/g/n/ac networks.
Same room a few feet away - about 25.3 MB/s (~202 mbps)
Same floor, one room away - about 23.1 MB/s (~185 mbps)
One floor up, one room away - about 13.6 MB/s (~108 mbps)
Two floors up, two rooms away (sort of, it's pretty far) - 1.7 MB/s (~14 mbps)
Most of these speeds are great and more than needed for 1080p HD streaming which requires about 6.5 MB/s (~52mbps)
Some people online report issues reconnecting to their network when they restart their computers, but I haven't experienced any reliability issues in my short time with this guy.
This review is from: TP-LINK TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Pros: This cable modem works just fine with Service Electric Cable TV in regards to their 25 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up plan (best they offer). Setup took all of 5 minutes. Modem is small, cool, and quiet.
Cons: No cons. It just works (as it should).
Other Thoughts: This is hooked into my NETGEAR R8000-100NAS Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wireless Router.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: • Great price for what's essentially an entry-level high-end motherboard.
• CPU overclocking works great.
• Support for Xeon processors and an insane amount of memory and hard drives, if you're so inclined.
• Very attractive in a windowed case.
• PS/2 plugs for the gamer-oriented (who is this board's target market, after all). If you don't understand why, Google it. I can't tell the difference between PS/2 and USB, but others swear they can.
• Includes a license for cFosSpeed traffic-shaping software, if you're so inclined. I didn't test this as I think it has dubious use. Hardwire it into a gigabit connection and be done.
• Can flash the bios via USB without having memory or a CPU installed. Pretty hot!
• The retail box prominently advertises this board as "ultra durable." I didn't run it over with my car, but it seemed to live through installation and testing, so it does indeed appear to be ultra durable.
Cons: • Bios is kind of a pain to use. Lots and lots of options buried in there. They need to work on this area. Everything's there, but you'll need to hunt around.
• Memory overclocking was lackluster. Could be my memory. You probably won't see a ton of real-world benefit from memory OC'ing anyway, so no biggie.
• May have issues with RAID across specific SATA ports. The manual available on Gigabyte's website has more specifics on this, so skim that area ahead of time if it may affect you.
• 4 rear USB2 ports. I really wish USB 2 would die!
• No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. You probably won't miss Wi-Fi since you should hardwire this guy anyway, but you may miss Bluetooth (just get a dongle).
• M.2 PCIe connector is in a weird place. If you use it, it may or may not get in the way of a PCI-E card. Take a look at the pictures for more info.
Other Thoughts: • This board worked great for its intended purpose. Processor overclocking was very easy, stable, and returned awesome results. If you're in the market for a high-end gaming motherboard with easy overclocking potential, I can recommend this item to you. Combined with the aggressively low price as compared to the competition, this board really is a no-brainer.
• This board is meant to be used as either a high-end desktop gaming build or as a home server.
• As always, check the manufacturer's website for CPU & memory compatibility. This doesn't always matter with standard desktop boards, but for the high-end performance machines, I suggest sticking with their supported list.
• As always, update your BIOS to the latest version, and check for updates often for the first few months to make sure you have the most bug-free, stable version.
• It may be "ultra durable," but it's only a matter of time before a competitor comes out with "super duper durable." It's up to you if it's worth biting now or if you want to wait for the extra increased durability.
• CPU - Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor. If you have this CPU, too, please note that 4-Way NVIDIA SLI does NOT work since this CPU doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes (24 vs the required 40). 3-way DOES.
• Memory - CORSAIR DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
• GPU - 2 x MSI GeForce GTX 980 GTX 980 GAMING 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card
• Case - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout with Window Black Computer Case
• OS - Windows 10 Pro x64