Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Obihai OBI100 VoIP Telephone Adapter with Google Voice & SIP
Pros: - Integrates with Google Voice (currently free - Google may change at anytime)
- High quality audio (crystal clear)
- Web-based setup walks you through the initial steps with the device
- Clear instructions on what minor modification needs to be made to Google Voice to have it work
- Works even with stringent firewall rules in place
- Five minutes to placing and receiving a phone call
- Supports up to two different VoIP services (see other thoughts)
Cons: - Extremely lightweight plastic device (quality?)
Other Thoughts: Many of us have cut the cord and eliminated traditional landline service. After several years of relying only on cellphones, we decided a traditional phone at the house would be useful for kids to use and in case of emergencies. Obihai's wonderful device makes this possible. Everyone with a Google account (which is virtually everyone on planet Earth) can get a free US-based phone number. Calls to the US and Canada are free.
For those who read the stipulation that Google Voice does not support 911 calls, this is true. However, because the device supports two different VoIP services, you can subscribe (for $15 a year) to an E911 provider that will handle all 911 calls placed through the device. Google Voice will handle all other calls. Win/win.
This review is from: TCL 40" 1080P Back Lit LED HDTV - LE40FHDE3010
Pros: - 3 HDMI inputs
- true 1080p
- "refurb" like an Apple product (looks brand new)
- twin speakers are LOUD and clear
- picture is very clean
Cons: - 60Hz which is fine for movies and regular viewing
- 90 day warranty is paltry
- picture is washed out on default Energy Star setting, just tweak it
- dynamic brightness needs a bit of work (or just turn it off)
Other Thoughts: Newegg's Black Friday special brought me to purchasing this 40" HDTV from a manufacturer where I've read overall positive reviews. I had also purchased a speaker bar for it because my LG 47" HDTV had rather pathetic sound from its internal speakers. Like I said in the Pros, the built-in speakers are loud and clear (no bass but that's not an issue).
Once you get the colors dialed in (I selected Natural), the HDTV looks pretty good. Otherwise, it looks oversaturated (color-bleed). My LG HDTV comes with a calibration mechanism that allows an easy method of dialing in the picture. TCL would be wise to implement a similar feature.
The 90 day warranty gives me pause but the availability of a 2 year extended warranty (which I purchased) gives me peace of mind. The warranty (a year longer than most new HDTVs) plus the price of the TV still ended up to be a good deal.
This review is from: Tek Republic TUH-300 USB 3.0 4 Port Portable Hub
Pros: - speed for external USB 3.0 hard drives are excellent (with no discernible drop when connected to this hub)
- requires no special drivers
- holds connectors tight as should be
- no cumbersome input connector to fall off
- picked this up at Newegg's daily deal special for only $15
Cons: - no external power supply (though for my application, none necessary)
Other Thoughts: My motherboard was a first generation USB 3.0 board. It had only two ports available. With the excellent deals Newegg has been making on USB 3.0 externals, I needed the ability to expand the number of ports to keep taking advantage of the superior speed.
Even if Newegg is not offering this at the discounted price, it truly does the job you need it to do. I highly recommend it.