Showing Results: Most Recent
This review is from: Intel BOXDG45FC LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Pros: Works great as a HTPC driving a Sony projector via HDMI. Running Vista on a E8400 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo with Total Media Theater 3. Plenty of power to watch 1080p content (TMT3 plays DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray) with low CPU utilization.
Cons: Can't get 24Hz output to work. Might be time to check for updated drivers or update to Win7
Other Thoughts: If you have issues w/ sound over HDMI, make sure you get current drivers from Intel's site (not from Windows update - couldn't get HDMI audio to work until I got drivers from Intel)READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
Pros: Cheap, relatively powerful (you can do a surprising amount with this board/CPU combo). Quiet. I have 2 - one runs 64-bit OpenSolaris for a home fileserver, second one runs XP as a standard-def HTPC in my bedroom to stream DVD's and DVR content from server (S-video out works great under XP to connect to my old std def CRT TV).
Cons: DVI/HDMI out would be great for future-proofing, but you can't have it all. For my use, trading for S-video output is worth it.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: Used as the boot/swap drive for an OpenSolaris server (parts list below). Fast, rock solid (running 24/7 since 2/09)
Cons: $0.66/G is pretty pricy (vs ~$0.09/G) for a WD10EADS
Other Thoughts: Server components:
* 2 x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card - Retail
* 1 x CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
* 1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 - Retail
* 4 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* 1 x LITE-ON Slim 8X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DS-8A2S-A01 - OEM
* 1 x NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case - Retail
* 1 x BYTECC 18" Sata and Slim Sata Power 7+6pin Cable, for Sata Slim OD Model SATA-XP118 - Retail
* 1 x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* 1 x SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SBE LGA 775 Intel 3210 ATX Intel Xeon/Core 2/Pentium/Celeron Server Motherboard - Retail
Display Name: T A.
Date Joined: 11/04/06
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.