- Diskless System
- 1.2GHz CPU Processor
- 1 x 10/100/1000M
- 3 x USB2.0
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.
Perfect NAS for MAC 12/21/2010
First NAS, only had this a couple of weeks so far and I am very pleased! Does everything that it claims so far. Not using all of the features yet though. setup and list:
Two Macbook Pro's (mine & wifes), Linksys WRT120N wireless router, Synology DS211j w/ two 1TB 7200RPM drives in RAID 1 mirror.
1) We both share documents and a 3,000 photo/video library located on the diskstation (navigate photos through a wireless N connection using Adobe Bridge CS5). Speed is acceptable for this task. Some wait time for thumbnails but nothing unexpected. Even better over ethernet.
2) Both MBPs point to a shared folder for wireless time machine backups. (note: first backup was too slow over wireless, had to use ethernet for that). So far so good.
3) Have access to my files wherever there is a browser through remote login to the server or via regular FTP service.
4) Sharing an itunes library which is saved on the server, both MBPs point to it. Some quirks here, but works fine.
Don't have cons so I'll continue with the pros :)
5) Server has proprietary audio playback software (audiostation) that can be used to stream music over the remote internet connection I mentioned earlier. This can be pointed at your existing itunes library w/o interference!
6) Server software is well organized, intuitive, and easy to use.
7) Synology has an active product forum and wiki with lots of info
8) VERY thorough compatibility lists on their website for EVERYTHING. check it out. www.synology.com
9) According to benchmarks by third party's this NAS is considerably faster than the Lacie 2big or Iomega storcenter.
Only possible con I can think of this that there isn't much instruction included with the product, I would dock to 4 eggs for this if it weren't for the wiki, helpful forum, and intuitive software. Expect to spend some time learning basic terms and concepts of the features if you don't know them already.
I researched NAS's for a solid month before deciding. was debating between the Lacie 2big and the Iomega StorCenter. This NAS was more expensive but the others all have mixed reviews and this one was almost all positive. Decided it was worth a little extra to not gamble with the mixed results being reported on the others.
TIP: Synology has a thorough list of compatible hard drives by model #. Find a screamin' deal on your hard drives, purchase a diskless system and you'll only be $40-$50 more than the competition.
6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!