- USB 2.0 & eSATA
- Up to 2TB
It works. Parially. 09/09/2011
- eSATA is fast when it works, 70MB/s to 100MB/s.
- Nice design, AWESOME cooling. I bet it keeps 7200's chilly. But I use 5900's.
- Ran it as a consistent NAS for two weeks, no issues or unexpected downtime.
- detects both 2TB hard drives I put in it (Independent disk mode too! All separate partitions detect. ext3 & NTFS.)
- seems sturdy, durable.
- I don't use RAID. But this has it (not sure if it works. Never tested.)
- Search the internet for "SteelVine Manager" which is the advanced software for debugging issues and upgrading the firmware on these. This was an awesome perk if you're an advanced user!
I want so bad to give it more eggs. However:
- eSATA works when it wants to (rarely..when it does, only on my laptop. I've troubleshot like a madman too.)
- JBOD doesn't work. (Doesn't detect any drive at all in this mode..)
- The controller isn't independent (transferring from one drive to the other is limited by your transmission medium, example USB2 transfers at around 15MB/s...)
- Sometimes the drives just don't detect on my computer. I power cycle it a bit, until finally it works.
- Doesn't make sushi for me.
This enclosure packs quite a punch! I use it as an NAS on a Asus RT-N16 router. It works for my application pretty well. I also take it mobile sometimes when I need some portability. It's heavy and sturdy. So make room in your laptop bag.
PROTIP: found this online for RAID users: "The documentation correctly shows the DIP switch configurations for how to configure for different RAID levels. However, it does NOT tell you that the proper way to set a new RAID level configuration is to 1) configure the DIP switches (without drives installed) 2) Power the unit up. 3) Hold down the Reset button for several seconds, then release. 4) Power the unit down. 5) Install the drives."
4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!