- Intel X79
- Core i7 (LGA2011)
- DDR3 2400(OC)/2200(OC)
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.
Fantastic, Get it 06/05/2013
This review is from: ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
I love this board. I did a ton of research for the best board. Everyone says that, but I’m a professor and I actually did it.
1. This R4F board is basically the same as the Extreme version, but without the bells and whistles you can do without or will never use. That makes this the smartest choice for the money. It also has better sound.
2. You only need 4 memory slots. 16 GB of memory is more than what 99.999% of people need. Fill all four slots for quad channel. Get quality RAM. I’m using G Skill Z 1866 8-9-9-24 and at 1.5 V it is still overclockable. You will never use 16 GB, unless you RAM disk. But you cannot save files in RAM disk, only an ISO, so it’s not good for gaming or saving work. I loaded half a dozen memory hogging programs and video demos and did not use half of the RAM.
3. Fantastic ratings compared to any other high-end motherboard. Check various sites. And you have to figure that more people will return to complain rather than complement.
4. You get the benefit of the Asus ROG forum for great advice. Go there now, even before you build your system.
5. It overclocks easier than any board I’ve used in 20 years. In fact it’s too easy. It is all in the manual. Whether you’re noob or a pro – you have access to all controls or let it work automatically.
6. The board has nice LED posts on boot up so you can isolate problems. I wish my old boards had this. It also has a good looking red readout for debug numbers. This board is so fixable it’s unreal.
7. The UEFI bios is great. Watch some YouTubes on how to use it. Flash your bios before you do anything else on the system. Format a USB flash drive in FAT 32, download the latest bios version from the Asus website for this motherboard and your version of Windows and unzip it. Put nothing else on that flash drive ut the BIOS. Once you’re set up, use the Asus Easy Flash 2 method, it’s the best. Piece of cake. BTW you will not need to do the rename thing for old BIOS versons. I got my board in March and it was ready to flash.
8. Asus keeps great updates for drivers. Go get all of them, unzip them, and put them on a flash drive. As soon as you load Windows, install all your new drivers. Their AI Suite 2 is also great.
9. I love the great-looking red LED with the ROG logo. Looks great even though my system colors are blue.
10. The sound quality of this board is amazing! Do not buy a sound card, put your money in the board. I use a sound system and optical digital out. The same sound system sounds 10 times better than it did on my old board. I noticed it immediately.
11. Has a lot of great built-in features, like a start button, a built-in backplate for your cooler, and other cool things that make setting up and using the motherboard easier. First-class packaging too.
12. The Asus tech support team is great. I called them three times with specific questions for my build before I even ordered it.
This is a pro and a con.
Newegg was great to work with – as usual. I had to refuse shipment on my first order of this motherboard, which is both Newegg’s fault and that of UPS. Unfortunately, when they shipped it, it had very little packing material. UPS apparently drove the truck over at some point. I never even took it into the house. Newegg kindly refunded the money, and I reordered the board which was well packaged. Lesson – either order a motherboard by itself, or with a bunch of other stuff.
Asus – you do not need 4 PCI E slots. Free up some space here. Slot 1 is too close to the RAM. Come on now, what percentage of people who get this are using 4 video cards? <1%? Those people are buying the Extreme board, so cater to the rest of us, the 99%. Even tri-SLI is overkill. A sound card will not improve the sound of this motherboard.
– download and read the manual from Asus before you even build your rig. You will solve a lot of problems ahead of time. When you get the book read and highlight it.
– Read some PC magazines and watch some YouTube’s on how to build your rig - including Newegg's great video.
– Do not overclock for a few weeks, and when you do so, go S L O W L Y . this board is awesome, if you screw it up, don’t blame the manufacturer.
I’m using this board with an Intel i7 3820. It works fine with Windows 8 (even if you dislike Metro, like me, if you’re building a new rig I do recommend it. You can always use the free Classic Start Shell or one of the pay-for programs to bypass the Win 8 start screen and get the start button back.)
4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!