- IEEE802.3/3u, HomePlug AV
- Elegant white shell, Nano size
- Up to 900 feet range over electrical circuit
- Built-in QoS
- up to 200Mbps
- Plug and Play
- $29.26 –
- Free Shipping (restrictions apply)
Some manufacturers place restrictions on how details of their products may be communicated.
Power deal for a Power Line! 11/12/2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps
I was so excited when this kit came in. I wanted to get one to replace an old netgear wireless extender that was supporting my bedroom TV. The netgear wireless extender constantly lost the wireless signal and I was resetting it almost every other week. I was wishing that my apartment was wired for a normal wired network, but one can only dream. This kit provides the next best thing.
For those of you who do not know about power-line technology, it basically means that instead of using regular Ethernet cords to connect your devices to the internet, it instead allows you to save from buying yards and yards of Ethernet cord to use the built in power lines in your home. With this kit, the one adapter you set near the router/modem will send data through the power lines in the wall to another adapter anywhere in your home (where there is a power outlet). Thus, this kit saves you the time and energy of breaking into your walls to run Ethernet cords all over your home.
For the pros:
1. Out of the box, setup will take you less than 10 minutes. Just plug in one adapter (it doesn’t matter which) in a power outlet near the modem/router. Plug in the Ethernet cord into the adapter and also into the modem/router. Then place the other adapter wherever you want internet access that requires a wired connection (near a TV/Computer/Gaming console that does not have wireless access). Plug in the Ethernet cord into the adapter and then into your device that needs a wired connection. And you’re ready to go.
2. TP Link included both Ethernet cords you would need to use to connect to your modem/router and the device you are trying to give internet access to.
3. The color is white, so as long as your home is like 90% of the other homes out there with white power outlets, then the adapters will blend into the wall.
4. Testing the internet connection with Ookla’s Internet Speed Test through the adapter gave me my full internet speed from my ISP. Using the connection with my TV was wonderful as it allowed my TV to play movies from my PLEX server on my NAS that was in my computer room without any issues.
5. The adapters also offer security, so that if you are in an apartment like mine and you are worried that your internet might be stolen by a neighbor, you can pair your adapters together to make sure they only work with each other.
6. The adapters offer a power save mode so that when using with a device that does not require an internet connection 24/7, it saves you money on your electric bill.
Overall, my experience with this kit was great. I had no issues what-so-ever with the devices.
Cons: As for the cons of the devices there are a few:
1. You cannot plug them into power surges, otherwise your experience won’t be so great, and thus taking up an outlet slot you may have needed.
2. This won’t work for every user out there. If you read the other reviews on this page you’ll see what I mean. It all depends on your house’s power lines.
3. Something kind of odd that happened for me: When I connected these to my Netgear Wireless Router, it for some reason reset my IP address for almost all devices on my network…not too sure if the adapters are at fault or if it is just a weird issue when trying to mix Netgear with TP link technologies…oh, well, I got everything fixed quickly after though.
Overall, this kit is a great buy for anyone willing to give power-line a shot in their home. I was getting tired of my Netgear wireless extender malfunctioning so much and am glad these offer a better alternative for me. I was able to get the full speed of my ISP through the device, so all-in-all, this kit has served its purpose.
Did you find this review helpful? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!