- Next-generation desktop performance hard drive designed to intensify your PC experience
- Improved Architectural Designs: Dual Core Processor, High Resolution Controller (HRC), StableTrac Technology
- Improved Data Protection: Vibration Control Technology (VCT), Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), NoTouchTM Ramp Load Technology
- Industry-leading 5-year manufacturer limited warranty
- Package includes a hard drive only - no screws, cables, manuals included. Please purchase mounting hardware and cables separately if necessary
- $123.49 –
- Free Shipping (restrictions apply)
Solid performance with 2Tb WD Black 04/07/2014
2 Tb is a good amount of space
5 year warranty
Recognized immediately in Win 7 64bit
Excellent packaging for shipping
A bit pricey if not on sale
Slightly on the warm side
Others have mentioned the noise. I wouldn't consider this drive noisy, but it is definitely audible when under load. Noise to me is when it's excessive or malfunctioning. I can hear this drive when reading \ writing, and it's audible over my case fans when they're on low rpm. Whenever you introduce a new component to a system and it makes a sound that is foreign to what you're used to, it can be disconcerting. So the sound of this drive could be initially worrisome if you're not used to it, but it's not the loud grinding noise that drives make when about to fail. For me the sound is by no means a deal breaker, or a con, as I am used to it and I knew what I was getting into. For some other folks I could see how this could be offputting.
So if you're looking for a dead silent drive, this would not be your choice. However, I rely on the good track record, solid performance, and my own experience with WD Blacks which is positive.
ATTO Benchmark of mine showed ~ 145 MB/s read and 143 MB/s write
AS Benchmark showed 142.31 MB/s sequential read and 140.60 MB/s write
Hard Disk Sentinel Pro shows avge temp of 35 C under load - generally a few degrees warmer than my WD Blue, but still acceptable. That's with an ambient temp of 26 C, a package temp of 29 C, and a 900 rpm fan blowing over the drive in a well ventilated case (6 case fans).
FX 6300 OC'd
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 mobo
Hyper 212 Evo cooler
16 Gb GSkill Ripjaws
GXT 650 Ti boost SC
120 Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD (OS drive)
The above 2 Tb WD Black HDD (some games, some programs, and media)
1 Tb WD Blue (media)
Seasonice S1211 620W PSU
NZXT Source 210 case
6 total case fans
1 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!