- Game Faster, Quieter, Cooler.
- DirectCU II: 20% cooler and 3X quieter
- 30% less power noise and 2.5X greater durability
- GPU Tweak: Real-time intuitive graphics tuning
Round Two 07/24/2014
- relatively quiet compared to a lot of twin coolers
- looks nice
- beefy/heavy but very sturdy, sagging not an issue
- everything but the gpu and memory chips are non-reference/custom
- eats AAA games for lunch
- first one I got was defective, died after five days and I had to send back to Newegg for replacement (Newegg service is awesome, got a new one two days ago, 4 business days after shipping back first one)
- can get toasty under load
- uses Elpida memory (tends to be lower quality than hynix or samsung, but not always).
- Direct CU Cooler isn't specifically designed for Hawaii gpu, but still a great cooler non-the-less compared to reference cooler and many others
when I get a new graphic card, i generally run Unigine Valley or Heaven a few times to see whether everything is up to snuff. Installed in the same identical computer, same everything, same clocks, same drivers, the replacement card is getting 200 points higher score in Valley benchmark on stock clock speeds. What this tells me is that the first Card I got was defective from the get go, but took 5 days for it to finally stop working. I am not an engineer, so I can only speculate that it might have been a small fracture in the silicon that grew as I used it... no idea though, could have been anything really. It happens.
The replacement card I have now has an asic score of 76% (defective one was 86%), so this one tends to run slightly hotter because of the higher default voltages, but still not much past 80C under full continuous load with fans @ 55%, and VRMs always keep below 90C.
Also, for anyone reading these reviews: please bear in mind that most people don't bother writing reviews at all, while people who have bad luck usually do write reviews. The Newegg score for this card likely does not reflect the overall fail/success rate of these cards, so do not let Newegg ratings effect your buying decision.
7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes / No Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!