Date Joined: 10/16/08
Pros: - Sleek
- Runs Cooler than my old HP with a 8600m gs
- Turbo Mode Works nice
- Manual buttons for wifi/bt/cam help in conserving energy
- Included bag is great
- I've tested Bioshock, TF2, Overlord, Demigod, The Last Remnant with the HIGHEST settings and the max resolution supported and I notice no lag at all.
- Even with turbo mode on, the laptop doesn't get too hot.
- I don't know if MSI fixed it but I don't notice the keyboard flex others have mentioned. The keyboard does flex about .1 mm when I push down hard but it feels and looks solid.
Cons: - Speakers feel a little shallow
- The fan being on the right side does get warm and noticeable if you keep your hard near, but being in Canada where our winters are cold is a welcome!
- Dedicated volume/mute/touchpad buttons would have been nice instead of using the function (fn) key.
- At least 3 or 4 USB ports would be more convenient.
- The power cord plugging into the laptop doesn't sit tight, if you move it a bit the plug will come out a little (about half a centimeter) but the plug still makes a good electrical connection with the laptop socket. Probably designed this way but when I'm not running with a battery I worry sometimes if I have the laptop on my lap whether or not I will accidentally unplug the power plug even with the slightest trip of my legs/feet.
Overall Review: For $1200 this laptop is well worth it if you're into gaming, all you need is an external HD connected with eSata and you have a powerful mobile production station as well.
I wouldn't worry so much about the 218US or the asus x5 if you want something cheap price-wise but loaded feature-wise.
Pros: - Easy PCI install
- Drivers right from CD worked right away
- Good signal, from 2nd floor to basement, I get 75% signal (I have a lot of stuff between the adapter and the router)
- Worked with 32-bit Vista
Cons: - I have to connect through Vista's "connec to network" option, even if I try to type in WPA key in the adapter's own wlan manager it would not connect.
- Windows doesn't have default drivers included so you must use the cd!