Are you an E-Blast Insider?
Shop without retyping payment details. Secure shopping made faster.
Check out with PayPal.
ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB516SP-B Rugged Full Metal 16 Bay 2.5" SAS/SATA SSD/HDD Backplane Cage for 2x External 5.25" Bay
- 16x 2.5" Drives to 2x 5.25" Bay
- SATA I/II/III/SAS
Rugged Full Metal 16 Bay 2.5” SAS/SATA SSD/HDD Backplane Cage for 2x External 5.25” Bay
Our most dense storage enclosure yet, the ToughArmor MB516SP-B. With space available for 16 x 2.5” SATA / SAS drives up to 7mm in height, it fits in only two 5.25” bays, making it perfect for high density storage applications. It features our unique EZ-Slide Nano trays that make installing drives a snap, and are compatible with several other ToughArmor models such as MB998 series. Its large 80mm user-controllable fan runs quietly, utilizing its many ventilation holes for maximum airflow at minimal RPM ranges. The fan has 3 modes the user can set; high, low, and off. The MB516SP-B features a rugged heavy duty full-metal housing designed to meet high IOPS requirement which are generally found in Enterprise environments, Military systems, Medical systems, high performance computing and industrial settings.
Countless Options in a Single Cage
To maximize its storage density and compatibility, the MB516SP-B supports 16 x 5mm to 7mm 2.5” SATA / SAS SSD or Hard disk drive, and only uses two standard external 5.25” computer bays (DVD-ROM bays).
The MB516SP-B’s compact, dense design makes it perfect for workstations, compact servers, gaming rigs, home servers, and HTPCs that require high IOPS, high capacity, and low latency storage access.
It works well in advanced RAID configurations, due to its use of 4x Mini-SAS HD (SFF-8643) connectors, and can be controlled by a single RAID card. Mini-SAS is also preferable to remove cable clutter and clean up your system, 4 cables are easier to manage than 16. It is also perfect for users that need non-RAID JBOD storage to save different content in different drive locations. It supports a wide-range of applications which makes the ToughArmor MB516SP-B invaluable.
Using the EZ Slide Nano trays makes drive interchangeability and maintenance completely hassle free. For drive security, the Eagle-hook lock system on the tray makes sure your hard drives will not eject when not needed. The trays are designed to accommodate 5 to 7mm height hard drive and SSD, creating a 2.5" hot swap bay for any standard SATA / SAS hard drives and SSDs.
Maximum Reliability and Stability
Protecting the safety of your most valuable data is the top priority of any data storage system. The MB516SP-B is tough enough to handle the most demanding environments, using heavy duty rugged full-metal components inside and out. Its full-metal design is also perfect for industrial and medical applications, where flammability requirements need to be met. In addition, the Anti-Vibration Technology (AVT) and EMI grounding ensure a stable platform for the drives being used, vastly improving reliability and drive longevity. The full metal construction of MB516SP-B allows for maximum heat dissipation, and combined with the large 80mm cooling fan, keeps your drives at an optimal temperature even under intense accesses.
The user replaceable 80mm cooling fan is placed directly at the center of the rear panel, providing equivalent airflow throughout the entire cage. Depending on your needs, you may need the fan to be at a higher speed, or completely off for silent operation, and so a 3-Mode Fan Speed Control has been added to flexible in various situations.
Packed with Features
The ToughArmor MB516SP-B has LED status lights built-in to each tray, giving you current status information for each drive. Active Power Technology (APT) allows each LED to only be on when a drive is inserted, and shuts down the fan automatically when all drives are removed. When a drive is detected, the large 80mm cooling fan starts up, strategically placed in the rear of the unit to maximize airflow.
Never lose track of which drive goes where. Individual numbered drive ID labels let you maintain order of your drives in RAID arrays. The drive labels can be easily re-ordered, or removed entirely for a cleaner look.
The ToughArmor MB516SP-B supports both Mini-SAS and 15-pin SATA power cables with locking latches so you’ll never need to worry about cables unintentionally disconnecting from your enclosure. Once these cables are connected, they’ll lock into place and stay that way.
Make ToughArmor On-The-GO! With MB991U3-1SB
To access your data outside of your system or in a remote location, the ToughArmor MB991U3-1SB is the way to go about. The drive tray slot of MB991U3-1SB is compatible with a variety of ToughArmor drive trays including the ToughArmor MB516, MB607, MB991, MB992, MB994, MB996 and MB998 series. This allows existing ToughArmor users to access their internal drive externally without opening up the case. It is a great tool for an individual drive diagnostic test. If you need to do a safe data erase or just simply expending system storage capacity, just remove the tray from the internal ToughArmor unit and insert it in the MB991U3-1SB to perform individual tasks externally with USB 3.0 interface. Best of all, the MB991U3-1SB uses USB bus-powered and it does not require a power adapter to operate. Simply connect the USB cable to any system and you are ready to go.
EZ-Slide Nano Tray MB998TP-B DriveTray for ToughArmor MB998/MB516 Series
Tray Compatible with External ToughArmor
- Rugged systems for industrial, medical and military use, and any other use where high-strength and flammability resistance is required.
- High-density storage applications in data centers, home and enterprise servers
- Electronic media storage in home theater PCs (HTPC) and media center PCs
- High-performance RAID applications such as RAID 0 (fast), RAID 1 (safe), and BIG (span) when connected to a RAID card
- Enterprise grade security live stream data recording server
- Virtual Reality(VR) image processing workstation/supercomputer
- 4K/8K raw footage/video editing / processing workstation
- 3D modeling and medical imaging workstation
- Rugged heavy duty full-metal construction of all internal and external components, commercially designed for Medical & Military systems, media servers, and IPCs, and approved and used by Tier 1 companies.
- Perfect for rugged applications that must meet flammability requirements.
- Fits 16 x 5mm to 7mm 2.5” SATA/SAS hard drives or SSDs in 2x external 5.25” bays for high performance RAID applications.
- Large 80mm cooling fan circulates a massive amount of air, while running quietly.
- Fan is user-adjustable, with settings for high, low, and off.
- Powered by 4x 15-pin SATA power cables for all 16 bays.
- Connected by 4x Mini-SAS data cables for all 16 bays, for plug-and-play compatibility with most motherboards and RAID cards.
- Drive label plugs to keep track of your RAID drives.
- Anti-Vibration Technology (AVT) - creates a safe environment for hard drives or SSDs.
- Active Power Technology (APT) - individual led & cooling fan only powers up if there is a drive installed in the bay
- Eagle-hook lock system keeps drives secured within the enclosure
- Removable tray system for easy maintenance
- Supports SAS & SATA 6Gbps and hot swap
- Supports MiniSAS HD and SATA power cables with locking latch design
- Industry leading 3 year warranty with exceptional customer support
Warranty & Returns
Warranty, Returns, And Additional Information
- Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
- Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years
- Read full details
- Return for refund within: 30 days
- Return for replacement within: 30 days
- This item is covered by Mega Retail Store Return Policy