The Quad Core Xeon X5355 processor delivers impressive performance per watt numbers and up to 4 times the performance of earlier generation single-core processors. Each core runs at 2.66GHz and an FSB speed of 1333MHz will make short work of any task you throw at it. A massive 8MB increases efficiency of L2 cache-to-core data transfers, maximizing main memory to processor bandwidth and reducing latency,up to 4MB of L2 cache can be allocated to one core The 64bit cores are designed to handle all of today’s x86 32bit software with ease and effortlessly migrate to 64bit software.
Fully buffered DIMM technology allows up to 21GB/s which is 3 times the bandwidth of previous technology. You also get 4 times the memory capacity of up to 64GB. Intel Acceleration Technology helps with this and cuts CPU overhead by up to 40% which lets it handle other tasks more efficiently.
You also get Intel Virtualization Technology hardware enhancements that support software based virtualization. It works with VMware, Virtual PC and XenSource and products from an increasing number of software vendors. This combined with the processor’s great power efficiencies let you run virtual environments on 1U and blade systems fewer cooling challenges which gives you maximum power and services per square foot of server space.
- Quad-core Processing with 8MB L2 CacheThe Intel Xeon X5355 processor features four complete processor cores in one physical package. Significant performance headroom, especially for multi-threaded applications, helps boost system utilization through virtualization and application responsiveness. Its 8MB (2 x 4MB) L2 cache increases efficiency of L2 cache-to-processor data transfer, maximizes main memory to processor bandwidth and reduces latency.
- Supports Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT)With Intel VT, one hardware platform functions as multiple “virtual” platforms. For business, Intel VT offers improved manageability, limiting downtime and maintaining worker productivity by isolating computing activities into separate partitions. In the home, Intel VT allows creating unique user environments for multiple family members using the same platform simultaneously.
- Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T)Enhances next-generation IA-32 platforms with 64-bit addressability and related instructions, allowing flexibility for both 64-bit and 32-bit applications and operating systems.
- Execute Disable Bit (EDB)Intel's Execute Disable Bit function can prevent certain classes of malicious "buffer overflow" attacks when combined with a supporting operating system. Execute Disable Bit allows the processor to classify areas in memory where application code can execute and where it cannot. When a malicious worm attempts to insert code in the buffer, the processor disables code execution, preventing damage or worm propagation.
- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST)EIST allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency to decrease average power consumption and average heat production. Combined with existing power saving features, EIST may provide an excellent balance between providing power when you need it and conserving power when you don’t.