Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: - Huge capacity
- First 4TB drive to market
- They run cooler than my previous Barracuda 1.5TB disks
- Rated for 24x7 use (though don't mistake these for "enterprise" class drives)
Cons: - Lots of other people are reporting problems (mainly high infant mortality rates).
Other Thoughts: For the last two months I've had 6 of these drives in a RAID array on an Areca ARC-1280ML (w/ 4GB BBU cache), under what I would call "medium duty" usage. Not a single problem so far, and great performance. I've been monitoring SMART stats with Hard Disk Sentinel and haven't yet seen any reallocated sectors. Temperatures stay around 35°C; and have never exceeded 42 (with push-pull cooling). The drives are just as quiet as any other modern HDD.
Taking other reviews into account, I suggest you take the time to break in new disks (exercise them with a period of intense reads/writes to weed out any premature failures) and then install them in mirrored, RAID6 or RAID-Z3 configuration. Array rebuild times for 4TB disks are huge; don't go RAID5 with consumer disks (Google "RAID 5 URE" for why).
Based on my own experience, if you heed the advice above, I see no reason to avoid this brand. All 4TB models are new and it will take time before any meaningful "in the field" reliability metrics are known. The seemingly-high DOA rate (especially on RMA replacements) is a cause for concern, but keep in mind users with negative experience are far more likely to leave feedback and those who are chugging along just fine.
Pros: Works great, runs cool, no problems.
Other Thoughts: Not sure if they autodetected correctly or not. I tend to manually set RAM speeds in my BIOS.READ FULL REVIEW
This review is from: areca ARC-6120-3 Controller Card Backup Battery
Pros: - Allows you to safely enable write-back cache.
- Lights up and emits a quiet beep every few seconds if you have an unclean shutdown and the battery is powering the cache.
- Works with the ARC-12xx, ARC16xx, and ARC-1880 products. Doesn't work with the new ARC-1882ix.
Cons: - Overpriced for a battery.
- Had to buy a replacement after couple years as the controller reported the battery was no longer good.
- No alerts/warning about the bad battery, so effectively I was operating in an unsafe mode for several months. (Maybe I just didn't have the alerts configured; suggest you test)
Other Thoughts: It would be nice if Areca designed these in such a way that the user could replace the battery on the module with a cheap, generic one. Also if it squawked a bit more when the battery needs replacement.READ FULL REVIEW