Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
Showing Results: Most Recent
Pros: Great deal for this level of performance.
• Solid build. Aluminum on the cover and palm rest. Plastic on the bottom. Everything seems sturdy.
• Fast CPU. i7 with 4 cores.
• Decent graphics card and screen resolution (1920x1080)
• HDD and RAM easily upgradable
• Fast Boot!
Cons: These cons are not that big of a deal. I’m just listing things I noticed that could be improved.
• Windows 8. More info down below
• Keyboard is fine, but I’ve seen better design. Sometimes when I hit only the corner of a key, it would not register. Happens when I’m trying to type fast and having to reach the keys on the top rows. Positions of certain keys are a little hard to get used to. They snuck the right arrow key underneath the 1 on the number pad and the 0 is tucked under the 2. Not the end of the world but inconvenient for fast number crunching.
• Keyboard is not backlit for the model I got – again, not that big of a deal.
• The speakers are not that good, but I’ve had much worse audio on a laptop.
• The screen is fine when looked at straight on, but too far up or down the result will change pretty drastically. The angle of viewing is not as wide as advertised.
• 5400rpm Hard Drive. This seems to be the only bottleneck when it comes to performance. I swapped it out for a SSD. More info down below.
• I know this is the trend nowadays, but I hate how the touchpad is one single piece. I miss the dedicated buttons on the older laptops. More about this below.
Other Thoughts: I replaced the HDD with a SSD. Very easy to open the bottom and install. You can clone the drive, or, because Windows 8 product key is embedded onto the motherboard, so you can do a clean install with another disk from a friend or something. Make sure it’s the same version of Windows 8 and you won’t have to worry about the product key. After installing Windows 8 just install the drivers from the disk that came with the laptop.
I also wanted to give Windows 8 a try, but to get rid of the annoying start menu, I installed a 3rd party program to get the classic start menu back. Took a little bit of time to configure the rest of the Windows 8 features to behave, but overall things seems to be going great. A few old programs had compatibility issues, but they were all minor things. This is bound to happen with any new OS though. When it comes to performance, everything that needs to work is working properly.
Right clicking is almost impossible on this thing, but I got used to the ASUS gesture commands like tapping with two fingers for right clicking. It’s very natural. Other commands are pretty cool and you can set which ones to turn on/off. I guess that makes up for it.
The air intake is on the bottom and the fan blows out the left side of the laptop. Interesting approach by Asus. I’m liking it. I can put the laptop on my lap or even my bed without it heating up too much. Like earlier review stated, just remember not to put anything on the left of the laptop.
Battery life is pretty decent. Standard for these types of laptops.
Overall, I am very happy with the purchase :)
This review is from: GEAR HEAD LM6000U Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 1600 dpi Mouse
Pros: Cheap. Simple. Works. Doesnt look terrible.
1600 dpi is very fast and accurate.
Cons: For this price? None.
Other Thoughts: It didnt come with anything. Dont expect much. I bought this for my mom when her old mouse broke. Shes happy with it.READ FULL REVIEW
Pros: Ran everything I threw at it.
Like others have said, very overclock-able as well.
Cons: HOT! Get a new cooler if you want to OC.
Other Thoughts: 64bit :)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE 3.0GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Memory: G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB w/ZALMAN VF1000 cooler
HD: Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
PSU: Corsair TX 650W